Fix Hard Drive not detected in Device Manager with Telnet Commands

There are 11 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 25,598 times. The last Post () by cazuela.

• I installed a 500gb hard disk and this gave me a problem. It didn't show up in the devices list and so I couldn't mount it.

I typed :-

fdisk -l

This listed the hard disk and reported it had no partition table. Hence the reason the VU+ doesn't see the drive.

Next I made a partition and formatted it.

I typed :-

fdisk /dev/sda

then I typed :-

w

(write new partition table and exit)

Lastly I typed :-

mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda

Once this was completed I restarted the box and now it showed in the devices list. I selected /media/hdd as it's mount point.

• These are the commands I found to format an external penstick USB or HDD to Fat Ext3 through Linux.

I have used a USB stick as an example. But you can replace usb for hdd

Note : anything on the USB/HDD will be eliminated.

Unmount the unit.

Code
    umount /dev/sda1

Format the unit in Ext3 through linux.

Code
    mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda1

Mount the usb/hdd.

Code
    mount /dev/sda1 /media/usb

Create a folder called Movie for the recordings.

Code
    mkdir /media/usb/movie

Chmod to 777 for the recordings ,etc.

Code
    chmod 777 /media/usb/movie

Hope it helps someone as it helped me!

• Excellent post and saved me a lot of hassle, I have one small problem which is probably only because I am not that familiar with the operating system
    I had to power down and reboot the box and after I had done that the hard drive had disappeared. I got it back by typing via telnet
    mount /dev/sda1 /media/hdd
    Is there a way of stopping this from happening?
    regards
    dcw

• Excellent post and saved me a lot of hassle, I have one small problem which is probably only because I am not that familiar with the operating system
    I had to power down and reboot the box and after I had done that the hard drive had disappeared. I got it back by typing via telnet
    mount /dev/sda1 /media/hdd
    Is there a way of stopping this from happening?
    regards
    dcw

depending on image ,but if in BH then blue-blue : devices manager : map it (mounting as media/hdd for example)
    or BLUE-blue : HARD DRIVE SETTINGS,,SET IT UP AS YOU LIKE..
    ALWAYS give it a full reboot after changing any settings..

• Nice info on formatting here. I followed the first post as the BH image i used keeps dropping the hard drive. I still cant see it mounted in the image, but the recording path is working.

Only downside is i cannot see it when i ftp inside of it if i wanted to backup my recordings etc.

• I can see the drive via ftp which is a bonus my only issue is that every now and again the drive for want of a better word "unmounts itself" and I have to remount it via ftp.
    Don't know why it does that because its a fixed mount but I can live with it.

• root@dm800:~# umount /dev/sda1
    umount: can't umount /dev/sda1: No such file or directory
    root@dm800:~# mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda1
    -sh: mkfs.ext3: not found
    root@dm800:~# mount /dev/sda1 /media/usb
    ntfs-3g: Failed to access volume '/dev/sda1': No such file or directory

ntfs-3g 2013.1.13 integrated FUSE 27 - Third Generation NTFS Driver
    Configuration type 1, XATTRS are on, POSIX ACLS are off

Copyright (C) 2005-2007 Yura Pakhuchiy
    Copyright (C) 2006-2009 Szabolcs Szakacsits
    Copyright (C) 2007-2012 Jean-Pierre Andre
    Copyright (C) 2009 Erik Larsson

Usage: ntfs-3g [-o option[,...]] <device|image_file> <mount_point>

Options: ro (read-only mount), windows_names, uid=, gid=,
    umask=, fmask=, dmask=, streams_interface=.
    Please see the details in the manual (type: man ntfs-3g).

Example: ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows

News, support and information: http://tuxera.com
    mount: mounting /dev/sda1 on /media/usb failed: No such file or directory
    root@dm800:~# mkdir /media/usb/movie
    mkdir: can't create directory '/media/usb/movie': No such file or directory
    root@dm800:~# chmod 777 /media/usb/movie
    chmod: /media/usb/movie: No such file or directory

this is the message i get with this tutorial but both the hdd and usb are recognised in the menu/setup/system/harddisk folder but wont let me mount or initialize please can somebody help me

• I can see the drive via ftp which is a bonus my only issue is that every now and again the drive for want of a better word "unmounts itself" and I have to remount it via ftp.
    Don't know why it does that because its a fixed mount but I can live with it.

it's driver issues mate try different image , i had that once or twice

• wow how old this thread? i spent hours with various images to mount a usb stick a 8gb cruzer wow finally done, boy that was a chore a big thank you for commands i done it. initially didnt do it but formatted drive to ntfs and it did it straight away next thing to do is try another box with same image and see if it will mount image when it already ntfs i believe after all this was because usb stick was formatted fat32 will try and update post.

thanks again!

• wow how old this thread? i spent hours with various images to mount a usb stick a 8gb cruzer wow finally done, boy that was a chore a big thank you for commands i done it. initially didnt do it but formatted drive to ntfs and it did it straight away next thing to do is try another box with same image and see if it will mount image when it already ntfs i believe after all this was because usb stick was formatted fat32 will try and update post.

thanks again!

That´s what the searchbar top right is for buddy...
    when you cannot find something straight away , you type in key words in the searchbar and anything related will show up..
    Glad to hear you got it sorted !!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!