Thanks to view attachments

There are 18 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 3,181 times. The last Post () by mckee25.

• Official Post

Some members spend a lot of their time getting things for others and uploading to forum. There was a spate of "click thanks before downloading", and then the new feature was added.

As much as I am in favour of expressing gratitude for what others do, in my opinion, it is a sad state of affairs that you have to click thanks/likes to see what the content is. You may not even like what the post is.

Can the click thanks/likes to see post/attachment be removed please?

By all means, those who insist on people clicking like/thanks to be able to download can continue doing so.

• I think if people don't know if the number of thanks or the number of posts or the time spent in forum or the good weather will increase the reputation bar will continue to ask for thanks and likes. I tought the

..see content

will hide the whole post and this is not fair considering the user must know for what he thanks. Content is what ? All the content excepting the post title ? I tought the

..see Attachment

will hide the links but i was wrong. I logged off and i saw the links of my posts but not the images (well here the Atachements are the images, my fault). Why to not see screenshots ?
    In all other forums a not registered user can't see the links and cannot download if the link is in codes. In my forum (not a satellite one) we warn for transparent links and the codes are mandatory. Here after logging off i see the links posted as text, the links posted in codes but requested to register for links posted using the Link code [URL].
    Is not clear if using the both options (thanks and like) the user must press both to see or is thanks or like. Maybe is enough only thanks option and only for links. A stranger must see the content and register for seeing the links. If the Thanks or Likes have no influence remove the option. We need a general Thanks button for stopping people to post thanks (useless) posts. Again, in my forum we warn for thanks posts and every spam posts not related to the forum activity.

• Official Post

I agree in principal with [MENTION=12572]abu baniaz[/MENTION] that requiring a member to hit the thanks or like button 'just to view a thread' is wrong

At the same time it's slightly different for those that take the time to upload content to the site and requiring a member to take 2 seconds to hit one of the buttons, this is a nice way to show appreciation to the original poster

• Official Post

I don`t see any option in adminp to disable only "Require Likes / Thanks to see content" and leaving "Require Likes / Thanks to see attachments" ..

Editing the dbtech_thanks_post_form template removes all Require options.

Code
    <li>
    	<input type="hidden" name="dbtech_thanks_{vb:raw name}" value="0" />
    	<label for="cb_dbtech_thanks_{vb:raw name}">
    		<input type="checkbox" name="dbtech_thanks_{vb:raw name}" value="1" id="cb_{vb:raw name}" tabindex="1" {vb:raw checked} /> {vb:raw phrase}
    	</label>
    </li>

Before template edit:

104ae80c86f820e8.jpg

After template edit:

8550575.jpg

• A few days ago the option to ask for Thanks/Likes disapeared and maybe is better. My question is why this option still exists in some places and if is related to thread or user (prefered threads or prefered users) or is a bug. If this is the site policy must be for all.

• We are trying to monitor every post and if it is a requirement to hit thanks to see content, we edit the posts and remove the requirement.
    We apply this to threads dealing with plugin versions / skin updates etc, we still leave the required thanks to download attachments as per op's request though.
    We don't however apply this to iptv links/keys etc as some of these are just pasted in and have no attachment and so we leave the required thanks to see the posts (as per op's request).
    The main site uploaders are co-operating now though and are not requiring thanks to see content, just to download attachment, after-all, they're doing most of the leg work and a thanks to show appreciation is a little ask really.

• My personell view on this if something is interesting or helpfull even if the post does not contain a download it is then common courtesy to thank the poster this of course is just my views but i respect others views
    Uploaders though do a great deal of work and if you use a file then it would be the norm to say thankyou but even news posts deserve a thankyou in my opinion

Helping others is always a better feeling than helping yourself

• In my opinion the requirement to thank before downloading should be removed.
    It makes the popular downloads look ridiculous, with nearly a full page of thanks behind a post.
    And when one thinks about it, the uploader doesn't need a thanks as a reward, the number of downloads itself is reward enough. After all would anybody download rubbish? Also the status of uploader is not something easily handed out in this community, so it is a massive sign of respect from the admins, staff and us common mortals that a person has been so recognised.

• Official Post

In my opinion the requirement to thank before downloading should be removed.
    It makes the popular downloads look ridiculous, with nearly a full page of thanks behind a post.
    And when one thinks about it, the uploader doesn't need a thanks as a reward, the number of downloads itself is reward enough. After all would anybody download rubbish? Also the status of uploader is not something easily handed out in this community, so it is a massive sign of respect from the admins, staff and us common mortals that a person has been so recognised.

There are members on here that do not even know where the thanks button is, there is probably even a thread on it.

The requirement to see content i do not agree with, IE: i have not even seen what the post is about and have to say thanks...
    however the requirement to say thanks to download an attachment i do agree with. IE: I would not download it if i did not want the attachment...

My way of looking at it, is that it encourages more members to get involved uploading things, rather than just leaching. Kind of like good torrent sites.

Codar said it very well in post 7 above.

• above by jensen

I have to totally agree with jensen as ive said earlier i regard it as polite and manners to say thanks for the time the uploader has took to find the file or even put a informative post here that helps you it is obvious that if someone gives you something you will trecieve by saying THANKYOU
    The reason you see some posts with a lot of thanks on them is that either they are informative or helping in some way or they have supplied files which as i say dont appear by magic they are sourced so my own opinion is as a true gentleman if i recieve something i will say THANKS

• Saying thanks off your own bat is one thing, being forced to say thanks is kind of childish.

And I am not going to point at particular threads, but some threads are downright silly, with a whole list of thanks and likes. I am not saying that I do not appreciate the uploaders/posters as they are the beating heart of a forum, but there should be a limit, especially if the uploader religiously contributes stuff on a daily basis, with an endless list of thanks/likes tailgating his every post.

• Saying thanks off your own bat is one thing, being forced to say thanks is kind of childish.

And I am not going to point at particular threads, but some threads are downright silly, with a whole list of thanks and likes. I am not saying that I do not appreciate the uploaders/posters as they are the beating heart of a forum, but there should be a limit, especially if the uploader religiously contributes stuff on a daily basis, with an endless list of thanks/likes tailgating his every post.

No one forces anyone to say thanks it is of course there if you wish to see some posts that you can only see them if you press the thanks button but lets face it if a uploader has uploaded a large file and you wish to use that file then it is quite easy to say thanks to see that file then simply download it if you dont want the file then you dont press thanks and you simply dont see it its not all together unfair
    People who religiously contribute to a forum do so to help the members they are diamonds of any forum and there should not be a limit as you call it to the amount of thanks recieved it SIMPLY MEANS THAT MOST PEOPLE APPRECIATE THEM.

• Please one question for clarify.

32a34442b4c25d7d27f.png

Members can see the image and for download it need 'Thanks' when this

2f82766b5.png

check was set?

It look like booth are attachments (Attached Images and Attached Files, my 1st image here), and will confuse me while English is not my Mother tongue.
    Or content is text?
    If not.
    How can I upload an preview picture that was visible for everybody and lock the "attachment content" for nonmembers/no thanks given people ;)

After 'Log in' I see in my thread, everything, After 'Log out' I see nothing, do not know what other registered user see. :)
    Here the Preview is not WYSIWYG. ;)

Be sure I will click thanks if I understand all these things after your answer :D

Think about, today the hit on the thanks is not painful and for free.

This sentence will also not help on other forums while today everybody like everything for free and without effort.

Greeting SGS

Regards 74321-sgs-sig-20x43-png

74870-anhangpng-png

• I honestly dont know if the reason that attachments cannot be viewed without first thanking the poster is to stop guests viewing them this of course would make perfect sense as some will come to forums and just get what they can without actually joining the forum
    Maybe a member of staff could answer your question correctly

• OK, for new Thread in OP #1 I give pictures for everybody. Make a second post #2 with lock attachment. But in this forum I can not do that. If I write in post #2 in between ~24 h after post #1 it put my attachment to post #1 like edit, It is then free for everyone.
    If I wait that day, somebody or more wrote then in this thread my attachment went to post #3...#4..#5..

How this is handled here is for the adminstrators but I knew too happy if I understand it really.

:hello3: ??? Now I can write a new post and my other in #16 I can edit also ???

Maybe I am too old for this stuff ;-) :-)

Edit:
    Ok, it must one post between.

Now I found "Attached Thumbnails" how I control between "Attached Thumbnails", "Attached Images" and "Attached Files"?
    Google translate is not helpful Thumbnail is an nail from the thump

8c8efa59796c032af.jpg

Regards 74321-sgs-sig-20x43-png

74870-anhangpng-png

Edited 3 times, last by SGS ().

• This is fast becoming making a mountain out of a molehill here...... what has to be done when making decisions for the better of the forum here is to strike a balance, and the reason for that is simple. We cannot and never will be able to please everyone.....

Having to click on the thanks button to view an attachment (or to be able to download it to be more accurate) is not a lot to ask to be fair.... it has helped in a big way to curtail some members who were only here to download as much as they could (whether they needed the download or not) without contributing feck all to put it bluntly...

Members have to realise that without uploaders and contributors of tutorials etc then the forum would look a lot different and would not be as resourceful as we all want it to be.... people will always have views & opinions that differ and that is a good thing, but just because one opinion might be that it looks rediculous that some posts have a lot of thanks / liks below doesn't mean that it will be done away with. You have to remember that the post that maybe looks rediculous might contain some very educational information that can benefit a lot of members and rightfully so the contributor of that post should receive recognition for their efforts of having gone to the trouble of taking their own valuable spare time to make that post and upload any information or files that go with it.

Whether someone sits down and writes a first class tutorial or uploads a file for the latest image, uploads the latest magazine that is of interest or whatever contribution they make to the forum the least we can all do is to click on the thanks button as a simple recognition of the time that they have taken to post it here.

Just my own honest opinion for what its worth.....

fI7WHhv.png

Please click on the "Like" :thumbup: button if you find the information and support posted on the forum helpful.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!