Zgemma bootloader and image flashing issue

There are 28 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 9,268 times. The last Post () by makey.

• Hi Sorry if I'm jumping in on this thread but I'm having serious problems with this box. When I got it there was setup with Dreambox and Vix but then some kind of update came up and loaded which then after a restart has made the box unable to boot. Afetr many different attemps to get the usb stick to be accepted by the box it finally did so. But the problem is that the sequence goes as follows. I start the box whlst holding the + button on the front panel the box goes to USB then FLSH for a few seconds then boot then nothing. Is it now a paper weight? Any suggestions would be welcome including other uses if bricked.

Regards.

nedsir

• This is only a bootloader, it only takes a second or two to flash.
    I think your problem may be your image as vix don't officially support this receiver (most likely a ported/modified image intended for another officially supported receiver)
    When you upgraded the image, that's where the issue may have arose.
    Try flashing a new image (atv officially support this receiver and is very similar to vix) or alternatively just reflash the original vix image that came with the receiver but disable the online update option.

• This is only a bootloader, it only takes a second or two to flash.
    I think your problem may be your image as vix don't officially support this receiver (most likely a ported/modified image intended for another officially supported receiver)
    When you upgraded the image, that's where the issue may have arose.
    Try flashing a new image (atv officially support this receiver and is very similar to vix) or alternatively just reflash the original vix image that came with the receiver but disable the online update option.

I'll give what you said a try. But to be honest I'm not too up in this kind of thing also the only thing this box has senn is the bootloader file. I tried other bootloaders and they are not being seen by the box. Good luck and thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Happy days I managed to get the box to work. I got an Open ATV image and loaded it on the usb that the box seemed to recognised then I held the Volume + button and the standby button at the same time and turned on the box it went to USB first then FLSH and after a little while it began to boot and the light went from RED to GREEN. I hope this helps others And many thanks to CODAR for putting me in the right direction.

• So I'm back the return of the dreaded won't flash routine. The problem being I wanted to do a factory reset in order to install Whooshbuild. Now the box just keeps booting to Open Atv setting that was on the thing. I wanted to install Whooshbuild but can't get the usb to be accepted. Is there any way to get this to happen with out going through the flash/usb madness? Thanks for any help.

• Hi Dazza I already did change it to force but this bloody box won't accept my usb stick that it did before. Just won't flash. Mad.

• The Zgemma models seem to be very picky on the usb when flashing, if you have another try that and also make sure there fully formatted before you put the image on the usb to flash the box as it can help

It is not who's in front of you,But who stands behind you that matters!

• The Zgemma models seem to be very picky on the usb when flashing, if you have another try that and also make sure there fully formatted before you put the image on the usb to flash the box as it can help

I know superkazza I.ve tried 6 different usb sticks lowlevel format you name it I've done it and still no joy. Going bananas at the minute.thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Just to add that my box now starts in Openvix which is news to me, but there you go. Only problem being that in my Softcam setup my CCcam isn't working and isn't going to ACTIVE wish I knew why? Wondering if my Cline is in right section? ETC or something.

As it works alright in my Openbox. No matter as I am fast approaching an act of Hari Kari at this stage. My excursion into the world of Zgemma has not been a happy one. Head is now in cold bucket of water.

• hi can u let me know witch zgemma u have it is in uk astra 28.2 ?

Hi jokosat Zgemma Star 2S on astra 28.2. Thanks for your message. But the problem I have is with the USB not being accepted by this box. No matter how I format the thing. Can't get the box to FLASH. Been trying for 2 days solid. No joy. Regards.

• mine will flash from the front usb port too, you could try that

Yep tried that as well at this stage I have got my Openbox out of the attic and have converted my Zgemma into a very functionable door stop. But again thanks for your imput.

• Official Post

Yep tried that as well at this stage I have got my Openbox out of the attic and have converted my Zgemma into a very functionable door stop. But again thanks for your imput.

try this:

If that still fails............

Then post a boot log:

Pre requirements:
    - RS 232 null modem TTL Convertor
    - putty.exe

The above programme and convertor can be found using google. http://www.giyf.com/

Start CFE console
    switch tuner off
    connect cable PC<->tuner
    start putty.exe, select COM1 (or 2,3) speed 115200
    remove any USB memory sticks
    power on
    when you see some boot log....
    This can be stopped by immediately press CTRL+C a few times
    boot process should be stopped

Q: I have only a short string in the log, what is wrong ?
    A: The box is bricked, you need JTAG to recover bootloader

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!