Cable Tuner Problem.

There are 12 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 3,107 times. The last Post () by The Soulman.

• Good evening all.

I'm hoping the good people on here may be able to help me.

I have a DM 800 HD SE (Clone) receiver with an A8P security SIM which was originally supplied with a satellite tuner and which I have used for over Three years without any problems at all.

I have recently purchased a (Clone) cable tuner for this receiver and have today attempted to get this cable tuner set up.

I have installed the cable tuner in the DM800 HD SE.

The image that I am using is OpenPLi 4.0 MastaG GStreamer 1.6.2 with IPTV.

The tuner shows up in the tuner configuration menu and I have entered my UK (Virgin Media) network ID and have then tried to scan for channels but after going through all of the frequencies and whilst displaying "Trying to find used transponder" on screen, the receiver displays the message "ERROR-failed to scan (error starting scan)".

After several attempts and changing the tuners configuration settings I have re-scanned only to be met with the same message once all of the frequencies have scanned.

I have connected an old cable box that I had from years ago (ITGATE TGM 220) to the line to test if this would be able to find any channels and it can find all of the UK FTA and subscription channels so I am certain that there are live services being broadcast on this cable.

I do not have Virgin Media TV service, only Virgin Media broadband, which I believe is the only service I need to receive FTA channels.

(ITGATE TGM 220 can see and list all channels)

If any of the members of the forum would be able to help me or give me some guidance / advice it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you and regards, The Soulman.

• try this, its for my Area but you`ll edit it to yours where needed

The tuner setup.

OK, back to the main menu.

Setup, Service searching, Tuner configuration

Select each tuner in turn and set them to:

Tuner type DVB-C

Confuration mode enabled

Network ID 00000

Used service scan type Provider

Provider to scan V***** M**** UK (6887)

Don't forget to save (green button)

Now you are actually ready to scan for channels!

Once the tuners have been set up. go to Automatic scan. For your first scan, set to Clear before scan yes and Scan Tuner A (DVB-C) yes

Press OK to scan.......

If my post helps hit the Thanks ;-)

Edited 3 times, last by Inspiral ().

• Thanks Inspiral.

Could you please confirm that once saved I would just unzip / unrar the image and install as with any other image.

Also perhaps I'm getting a little in front of myself here, but why would this work when scanning the tuner for services has failed ?

Please don't think I'm doubting your knowledge, I'm more interested in learning why this would maybe be a solution.

(In my book you take any oportunity were you can gain knowledge / learn something as a bonus)

FOOTNOTE:

Hi Inspiral.

Looks like you edited yours before I'd replied.

(So which option to try first ?).

There is only One tuner (Cable) connected.

• sorry about my 1st post m8,

i added a Sim2 backup not realising your using A8P sim type, so edited it accordingly bud, sorry if you flashed on a wrong image??

try this im going of memory here likes?

menu - setup - service searching

Tuner config = enabled

Net ID = ( put your area code here eg 00010 )

Used service scan type = provider

Provider to scan = v***** m**** ( press lefy/right on remote to change to this )

Don't forget to save (green button)

now hit scan

good luck

If my post helps hit the Thanks ;-)

• Below Net ID heading is used service scan type, only there is no "Provider" option.

When service scan type is highlighted, pressing left or right on remote only gives "Frequency Bands" or "Frequency Steps" options.

Regards, The Soulman.

• You are trying to do a normal scan. Forget about doing that. You are not getting the provider option because PLI do not have a cables.xml file in their image.

Just go straight to AutoBouquetsMaker

Hi abu baniaz and thank you for your reply.

Please could you tell me where on the image I can find the AutoBouquetsMaker.

• You are trying to do a normal scan. Forget about doing that. You are not getting the provider option because PLI do not have a cables.xml file in their image.

Just go straight to AutoBouquetsMaker

Thank you abu baniaz

I have searched everywhere for the AutoBouquetsMaker that you have mentioned but I cannot find it anywhere, I don't think it is included in the image that I am using. (OpenPLi 4.0 MastaG GStreamer 1.6.2 with IPTV).

However perhaps you can still help me, I have managed to obtain a cables XML file and using Filezila I have placed it in etc / tuxbox and restarted the receiver, I now have the provider / Virgin Media option to scan.

I have scanned the tuner and it has found 536 channels, however when selected, the vast majority of them just show the current program details at the foot of
    the screen but no picture, just a blank screen.

Others show nothing at all and then after a few seconds "SID not found in PAT" is displayed on screen.

I can view some FTA channels like BBC 1 North West (My region) and a very small number of others that I had randomly selected, but none of the FTA HD channels are viewable.

Please could you tell me which FTA channels I should expect to be able to view after having completed a provider / Virgin Media scan that is showing 536 channels, I am not familiar with cable services scanning as I have always used satellite based receivers before.

i haven't been through all of the FTA channels listed but as I've said, the vast majority of them when selected, are just blank.

(AIl of the UK subscription channels are listed but I have not tried these as it is pointless without a valid subscription)

Do you have any suggestions as to why this might be ?

Thank you and regards, The Soulman

• ............................................................................................................................................................................

it has found 536 channels, however when selected, the vast majority
    of them just show the current program details at the foot of

the screen but no picture, just a blank screen.

Others show nothing at all and then after a few seconds "SID not found in PAT" is displayed on screen.

.................................................................................................................................................................................

that will show on the channels as you said without subscription

the channels will be blank

and will show sid and pat not found

they need a active subscription to show picture

as for free to air on cable i am not sure how many are

on it i do not think you get all

mostly regional bbc ,itv ,cbeebies etc

have you tried to ftp autoboquetsmaker onto the box

usig that image

i am not sure if it is the same as the image i use on my box

FTP the folder named AutoBouquetsMaker to /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/ then reboot your receiver.

http://kakaducenter.ru/autobouquetsmaker-ipk.html

ABM will then be shown in Menu> Setup> Service Searching

set area then scan

ps message to admin mods

if the link is not allowed i do apologize

kindly remove

• There are only 5 FTA channels on cable.

People sometimes assume that the FTA channels on satellite are also FTA on Cable. This is not the case.

WOW !!!

Thank you very much for this abu baniaz.

I never realised that this was the case.

Until now I have only been used to satellite based systems where there are hundreds of FTA channels, many of them being in HD.

So from this information I can assume that my cable tuner has successfully picked up all available channels ?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!