Timeshift on usb

There are 11 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 3,733 times. The last Post () by ddaddy.

• Just wondering it automatic timeshift would be beter on usb. {save hammering hdd}

Is it possible, and will it work.

If its not broke --- fix it anyway.

• Now thats a cracking idea.
    Can you set it up so Timeshift uses USB but recordings use HDD?
    Doesn't the timeshift recordings take up alot of space though?
    Looking at the HDD while its recording, it uses 2 files timeshift.xxxx & pts_livebuffer.1 and both increase at the same speed/size.

• I've got a 2g usb with the swap set to use 250m of it so with 1.7 ish not doing anything.

I'm not sure if ts can be moved to usb, i've read some where that changing ts defalts breaks it.

• It can be done - map the USB drive first - then point timeshift path to USB stick:

Telnet to the box
    Create a dircetory on the USB Drive as Timeshift ( you don't have too but it neat )

The from the Recording Paths
    Press OK on the Location.
    It will then point you to a list of locations.

Press the channel Up Button to move to the top part of the window.

Then you browse through the list of locations till you find your /media/usb/timeshift
    Add this as a bookmark
    And then select that as the new recording path.

You can't select this location until you have created a bookmark.

Hope that helps

Kindest regards, Prioryman

Let your interests be as wide as possible, and let your reactions to the things and persons that interest you, be as far as possible friendly rather than hostile.

• Update:

I have been using a USB 8Gb stick for months. The timeshift is on it - the Swap file is on it - EPG is on it.

I also back up my image about every 4 weeks or sooner if changes are made.

I have a 1.5TB drive fitted to the Duo and the above settings allow the hard drive to spin down when not in use.

If I use record timeshift it copies it to hard drive.

It has never crashed. I have read however some USB sticks do not work.

I'm using a cruzer USB.

Let your interests be as wide as possible, and let your reactions to the things and persons that interest you, be as far as possible friendly rather than hostile.

• Formated it in the dream box.

It worked on first boot on 1 chanel then i had a reached timeshift limit thingy alarm then it wont start again

• Formated it in the dream box.

It worked on first boot on 1 chanel then i had a reached timeshift limit thingy alarm then it wont start again

What size of USB stick are you using?? - no less than 2GB is fine, but 4Gb or more is good that gives you about 90 minutes or more of timeshift.

• On hold untill work gets adelivery og 4g usb sticks ;-) as recomended above.

It worked for a while untill a chanel change and then had a message something about size limit reached, then I was unable to reformat it in the 800 so gave up.

• I got this working this morning. I didn't realise Dream Elite Settings --> Devices Manager, had a format option to format the stick :-)
    Got it working, but it was quite slow at reacting to pause, rewind etc.. I guess the HDD has a much faster data transfer rate.
    I've gone back to using the HDD.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!