user-skin mods for KiddaC skins

There are 25 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 6,476 times. The last Post () by dsayers.

• dsayers ... throw me a friggen bone here. What are your new screen names.

old ones were

<screen name="DsayersCustomMixImporterScreen"

<screen name="ChannelsImporterScreen"

1999gtv ... how do you think any skinner starts... They start with faffing. Moving this... resizing that... new graphic for this... etc. Next minute... 2 years of your life has gone by in a blink. ha. We used to have a good community of everyone having a go with skin modding, unfortunately there is very little of it about nowadays. As I always say, I just give you a full base to work on. It's up to the user if then can be arsed to make the skin their own.

I will assist anyone willing to get there hands dirty and have a go. I have no time for people that want you to make all the amends for them though, despite me giving clear instructions on how to do it.
    If you bootloop your box... so what... undo your amends ... faff again... learn form your mistakes ... faff some more... have some gratification that you have achieved something. :thumbup:

** A person who feels appreciated will always do more than what is expected **

Edited 4 times, last by KiddaC ().

• Official Post

On a main skin that requires a reboot for changes to take effect it can take days to get things right. I have only ever pissed about with other skins but now have a new found respect for skinner's. , :bravo:

I also now know I will never have the patience to do one myself.

• Jensen... exactly, the hours skinners put in to make these skins only a skinner will know. Unsung heroes. Its an endless cycle of write code, test code, crash box, tweak code, test code, crash box. Not even adding to the equation the hundreds of hours of research I put in in the early days when I didn't have a clue what I was doing. I also don't use openskin designer due to the template nature of my skins, so pretty much every single screen I mockup in photoshop first, code it, and then overlay the output onto my photoshop mockup to then fine tweak it.

Writing a skin can be reasonably straightforward once you know the basics. I could probably mockup a skin in a week, write all the code in 4 weeks, but then take another 8 weeks to perfect it, then another year until it is finally totally bug free. Its fine tuning and bug fixing that is time consuming. Although I am pretty much retired now due to being warn out from all the hard work, I still recommend people have a go. You also learn so much about enigma2 sateliite boxes in the process. Knowledge I would have never gained if I wasn't delving into all the python components on a daily basis to work out what I can and cannot put into a skin.

I have the benefit of being a graphic designer for 20 years, so the graphic side is no problem, but I am also a programmer so it was a perfect hobby for me to do. But even without perfect graphic skills, or a technical know how, there is a wealth of information scattered all over the internet. Start little... in the end you will make a skin. (and remember if you borrow some one elses code or graphics, have the decency to mention or credit them :) )

If you know my history... my first project was.. oh lets just tidy up the original blue hd skin... and look where that ended up. Before that, I had absolutely no knowledge of enigma2 or skinning at all on these boxes.

Enigma2 isn't the easiest platform to work with, in fact its probably the worst I have ever encountered, but there is now hope things are moving more slowly to android based, then I might come back out of retirement. Because working with android will be like heaven compared to this old creeking code. It was still fun though. Stressful, but very worth while.

** A person who feels appreciated will always do more than what is expected **

Edited 2 times, last by KiddaC ().

• This is my modded version of the new EPG tabs to work with vskin-1080 so long bouquet tab names fit easily.

af1565da36fd.jpg

You need to install EPGSelection mod from here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kn6…&subfolder_nav_tracking=1

Images need to be newer than openatv 6.2 / openatv 6.3 (june 2018) - and new openvix (Feb 2018)

Do not install on older builds, as the new button code will crash this skin on older builds.

For Openvix 5 2 015 and above install epgselection .py from here Slyk-1-HD Support

Make sure epg tabs are set via the extras.xml

To use this simply download skin_user_slyk-onyx.xml and ftp it to etc/enigma2 and reboot box

KiddaC Skins and Plugins

KiddaC Enigma2 Picons, Plugins and Skins, includes slyk-1-HD, v-skin-HD, slyk-q-HD, slyk onyx skins, Bouquet Maker Xtream, E2Piconizer, IPTV Bouquet Maker, Jedi Maker Xtream, Jedi EPG Xtream, ScreenNames, Visual Weather and X Class, X-Streamity - Xtream Codes IPTV Player.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!