Zgemma h7 uhd 4k review

There are 109 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 33,592 times. The last Post () by seagen.

• Official Post

I have use the terrestrial.xml from zgemma h5 and again the same result.

Are you replacing them both from the h5 onto the h7. ??

There is 2 files one is at etc - tuxbox the other is at etc - enigma2

Also have you configured both tuner b and tuner c the same way ??

have you tried to enable the 5v for active antenna ??

86e14e45628c56e1.jpg

• hi mate DVB -T is standard sd DVB T2 is HD im thing all the albanian channels are on HD i can see on the photo System is set up on DVB-T can you change thats settings too DVB-T2

• PurE2?

Looks a bit like this, when you go from 1 TP to another....

b759d99504.jpg

HOWEVER! Not all will "lock" in this section and yet, when you scan - it finds channels there... Weird but wonderful! :rasta2bigsmoke0gf1:

At my end it finds 177 channels even though... ach, never mind, just try again...

And ask manufacturers to add Albania to the mix, of course...

Else, try EU general section...

Good luck!:thumbup:

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/ets/CCREAD/etscc/kant.html

• For what it's worth...

To my mind, from my considerable experience, Zgemma H7 is the best at the moment and the best STB of all time, hands down! ;)

It's cheaper and stronger in every respect than the comparable STBs, from what I read and can compare.

One can choose one's configuration:

2 x DVB-S2X plus 1 x DVB-C/T2 or
    2 x DVB-C/T2 and 1x DVB-S2X.

CI+ reportedly works,
    Kodi works,
    HbbTV
    Stalker (MAG etc. present)
    E2iPlayer,
    PurE2 streaming plugins,
    playback on home network,
    4 partitions for 4 images without special SW inside the flash, which is a great plus for an enthusiast,
    it records from multiple channels,
    Multistream works fine
    Even PowerVu works with OSCam *E*m*u*!

etc. etc. etc.

Warmly recommended because of its superior, carefully imagined/thought through combination of:

strong HW
    up-to-date kernel
    superbly written drivers (even for tuners)
    excellent selection of E2 variants
    fab plugins!

The only thing that doesn't work properly is PiP!

Everything else is EXCELLENT!

Enjoy!:rasta2bigsmoke0gf1:

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

• Hi all. I've had my H7.AC for about 3 months now. I'm moving in from ku band over here in the States.
    The H7.AC is the USA version which has a single plugin dual tuner Si2169D DVB-S2 and MSB1237 ATSC tuner.

For my region it came loaded with OpenATV 6.1
    I did not think (uneducated at the time) to backup the unit before upgrading to version 6.2.
    Preloaded channels and transponders are not the same as what is provided in OpenATV 6.2
    So, please perform a complete backup before you upgrade.

Hard drive. I have installed a 2.5" 1tb laptop drive. Yes, they only supplied 3 screws and no spacers to protect the drive pc board.
    Certainly getting a small bag of washers is easy. Job done once I scoured my pc parts bin for the missing screw.
    The rest is just simple drive initialization and setup in the menus. I'm running a swap file on my setup, although it's said it's really not needed.
    Do not consider an SSD for your box. Platter drives are more suited for sequential reads/writes that recording and playback does.

Okay. Blind scan. NO. I put a post on tvrosat to address a very detailed blind scan how-to.
    It will not do a hardware blindscan. Something hard to believe after using Dreamlink and Linkbox receivers.
    And for me, turbo8psk is out of the question also. I've searched for a plug in tuner with the capability and drivers for the H7.
    For now, the H7 is c band only for me. And that's cool.
    I'm using a Titanium Satellite ASC 1 dish mover.
    If you use a dish motor and setup diseqc to move it. Using the blindscan files as is then moving your last scanned to bouquets (mine are labeled by satellite)....your dish will not move if you choose a blindscan channel. Easy fix!

As for all of the other things mentioned, it really has a nice picture. Mine was a bit expensive, but within my budget.
    PIP? 4:2:2? Perhaps in the future. Or drop a pile more samolians and find one that does now.
    I have lots to learn still. I'm an EE, so this is a fun piece of equipment.
    I wish full blown Kodi, Kodi builds could be moved entirely to my HDD. Initial Krypton install all but exhausted internal storage.
    A brief trial with IPTV watching 4K content was nice with the gigabit ethernet port.
    An app-to-sd like Android application has would be a plus. You eat up internal storage and the box gets sluggish.

Oscam works well on it. Once you find all of the right settings. Plugins are in ipk format. Not widely supported here.
    The above mentioned compatible chipset receiver files for Oscam sometimes don't work so well.

If you consider using OpenPLI on these boxes, get ready to learn how to navigate the menus and confuse yourself with the remote buttons.
    OpenPLI went to sleep when they put out firmware for these receivers. OpenATV "Just fits".
    The remote control buttons do what you want to on OpenATV. In PLI, good luck.
    I addressed that in their forums. Posted a Youtube video. They argued, denied, and disagreed that if you want to hit the guide, press the guide.
    If in the program guide you want to switch bouquets, you needed to leave the guide....switch to a different one, and re-enter the guide.
    So life is easier on an H7 using OpenATV.

Jenseneverest. Thank you for helping me get my feet wet again on C Band. It's been a fun couple of months!

• Official Post

this thread kinda went off topic, it was originally a review ( all be it done in a bit of a rush at the time )

Nice one supwiddiss i am going to add your thoughts on it to the first post.

FYI there is a plugin that moves skins and plugins to the hard drive to save on flash space, i personally not had an issue

Plugin/Skin Mover Guide

• Hello, m8! Allow me to try, from what 'little' I can... :) Like so:

PurE2 general flashing/setup tutorial... or

The world's first pretty comprehensive E2 tutorial and its predecessor...

My answers will be in red, between your quotes...

Enjoy! ;)

Edited 3 times, last by gorski ().

• I edited the above post, so now it leaves no stone unturned, as it were... :laugh1::rasta2bigsmoke0gf1:

• I was told that PurE2 would be OK in the USA:rasta2bigsmoke0gf1: because the driver is compatible, so have a go and do tell...;)

• I was told that PurE2 would be OK in the USA:rasta2bigsmoke0gf1: because the driver is compatible, so have a go and do tell...;)

All of your replies and notes are well received. You obviously have way more experience than me. My 3rd month being back into this.

Blindscan is brought up almost continuously on these boxes. Including every single transponder possibility in a software scan file could tie up the receiver for hours (I've heard overnight).
    Hence fast blindscan, accurate blindscan and the notations of appx. time to do so.
    Hence the link I gave separates standard (Lyngsat) transponder per satellite scans from the thorough scan to catch wild feeds.
    Performing a blindscan in that manner and dropping the Last Scanned into your bouquet, mine again are arranged and named by satellite so the dish isn't constantly moving as if you were using categories, ie: a 'movies' bouquet populated with 4 satellites.
    127W satellite channels assigned to diseqc 1.2 slot 10 and moving the last scanned blindscan into the bouquet will not move the dish if you were on 99W let's say, and cycled to 127W and selected a blindscan channel.

I have tried Kodi on this receiver. I'm accustomed to using one of the builds on an Amazon Fire TV.
    I watch internal storage on the H7 dwindle as I install plugins, and the build I used surely did suck up tons of storage.
    Even 200mb left would make me a bit nervous. And I notice a definite slow down of how the box boots and performs once it's up and running.
    Waiting for plugins for Kodilite and seeing if they work is a disadvantage. In Windows a person running low on storage could simply plug in another hard disk and mover or reinstall applications, files on it. Android has move to external storage options. Nice options to have.

It doesn't look like I've had much luck finding the original channel list that came with it.
    I'm left with quite a few channels on every sat (ex: 1677 4180 SID 0x04) that may or may not be viewable.
    The 3 NASA channels definitely are like that. Of course they can be edited and populated accordingly.
    So, a complete backup would have been smart. Getting there.

"Samolians"...Pounds Sterling, Quid, Deutchmarks, Dinero, Vlotskys....guess I watch too many old movies. lol (laughing out loud).

3 screws. Again no issues. They know drives use 4 and they give you 3. Heck, you could use Velcro or double sided tape. Or 1 screw.

So sorry for getting this blown off topic. I'm an Electrical Engineer, or more correctly Electronics Engineer. We make things and make things work better.
    I work with hardware engineers and software engineers closely to make it easier for end users to use industrial machinery.
    Something that design geeks often overlook. There are many 'why would you want to do that' questions until those things are explained.

I'll sign off of this post and leave it as is. Did not mean to hijack it. The same questions keep creeping of the same questions and unknowns.

• ...until you actually do it...

Remember, 4 partitions, so you can experiment easily with various images, like PurE2, OpenSPA, OpenHDF etc.

I think you'll get quickly into it, given your knowledge and background but do not bring stuff over from FireSticks and whatnot - it's overthinking it...

Remember, your plugins etc. will go to HDD, not flash, so relax... You always have 3 other images to start all over again, 'till you get it right.... Enjoy the hobby! :)

Ermmmm and no blindscan for now... Let it go and you will have more peace of mind to enjoy it. There are forums with feedhunters and they do give us the data regularly, so again, no worries... ;)

• There is nothing in the amateur radio world more relaxing than spinning the vfo to find a new transmission and logging it.
    Hence blindscan. Partitioning. Great idea but more reading. grrrr

• "Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

• Hi, m8s...

Just to explain: the ethos of these forums is to have a discussion/questions in the open forum, so all of us can not only benefit but also contribute from various perspectives... So, I shall answer my PM (concerning PurE2 image) here, since it might help both others and the person asking it, as others may have other suggestions...:thumbup:

PiG question

It's called a PiG :laugh1: (Picture in Graphics, as opposed to PiP) and I don't think we have it (I haven't bothered in a long time, I must say)...

I think OpenATV do not have it any more, also - OpenPLi do, if memory serves, in a specific skin - but what we have is the OE-A thing: MENU > Setup > System > Channel selection settings > Channel list preview but that is an image in the background, not smaller, resized clear image and then one has to press OK button twice to select the image and get out of the channel list, which I find cumbersome and annoying...

PurE2 is a very cool, malleable skin

Have a look at MENU > Plugins > Estuary (skin) config.... Very cool and flexible! ;) From main skin menu, to background, to colours etc. etc.

Plugins > Estuary config >

Menu section > Menu Style > I choose Icon Wall to have all the options at a glance but you have other possibilities, like Shift, Shift Horizon, Verby and Standard

Choose Background Wallpaper (no. 4 for me)

etc. etc.

Weather plugin > OK > MENU button > yellow to edit > write your town's name > yellow to search for the code > choose... > save...

Remote button settings

They are in different places, if memory serves...

Have a look at System > Keyboard/RC> Button setup (EPG > I choose MultiEPG), plus Extra button setup, where you can do a lot, if you're that fussy... :P

Also at User Interface > UI Settings...

PurE2 FNC plugins by Franc

Can't remember now how to (more) directly use IMDb-FNC (one of the special plugins by Franc in MENU > PurE2 Plugins) but you can get better info re. content you wanna watch...

But you can press Info > MENU button > Search with IMDb-FNC > choose...

649eae.jpg

OSCam

(This is the link to the relevant post of mine) PowerVU config files for oscam-emu

(Edit the config files using, for instance, Notepad++ (freeware)...;))

It is running pretty swell!!! :laugh1:

And it has a whole section on this forum, which I find excellent!!!:thumbup:

OSCam Info on your screen

If you want a skin interface for OSCam it's to be done in Skin config (Plugins > Estuary config > Infobar widget = ECM Info + PIDs and

Setup > System > User Interface > UI > Show OSCam Info in extensions = yes. You must set it up properly: normal TV channel > blue button > OSCam Info > Setup > Read user data... = no; Automatically... = no, 10 sec, for instance; green button to save. Exit and go back to it and enjoy...:)

Indeed, this is the point: enjoy messing about... :)

Edited 4 times, last by gorski ().

• One more thing: do regular SW updates, especially when you see a little window with such a message ("PurE2 update available")!

Not only your E2 but also your plugins will be updated! ANd that is important!

FNC plugins must be regularly updated for links/sources... ;)

• I was the person, I confess.
    As there are a few posts I've left in the forums that still go unanswered and quite a few chaps who actually care to steer me in the right direction, or have the time to help. Sometimes a private message and reply is comforting.

I'm not going to go to great lengths here. I was excited to try the next best to openatv.
    After a few hours using PurE2 I find it too is as hard to grasp as openpli was.
    PIG. Perhaps not as out front. I selected it as I would in openatv. Simply did not show, would not.
    Weather. Did not accept my location. Tried to install MyMetrix weather. Did not show in plugins.
    Oscam. The most important thing for me besides an easy to use gui. 11439. Several versions in the plugins downloader.
    Dropped in my current running powervu keys. No joy. Dropped in the rest of the config files as I did recently to get 11438 to work.
    Again, no joy. And so far I haven't gotten 11439.anything to work. So 11438 it is.

My whole concept, or learning curve is concentrated on.
    Getting the receiver working. No bells and whistles just yet.
    Getting a decoder running stable. Digging as hard as I can for keys, then getting them working. And keeping them working.
    Picons, later.
    EPG populated (I can make my own xml using epg buddy for mediaportal). Not yet but soon I hope.
    Not running out of internal storage. That's why I have a 1tb frisbee spinning inside of the box.
    IMDB...not running here.

My suggestion to all considering this very very nice receiver.
    Stick with OpenATV until you're fluent enough to feel comfortable with it.
    Do not go firmware jumping unless you're committing yourself to staying with it from day one and trashing OpenATV out of the box.
    Again, my opinion. Because it works. What you want to work (GUI, ease of use) works.
    And that must be why Zgemma links you to OpenATV download/upgrades.

I'm comfortable right now running openatv 6.2. It "just fits" the H7 I have.
    Perhaps i'll find the time to scour this forum for PurE2 tips. Heaven forbid the parent site forum would have an english section.
    For now my restored previous flash is working fine.
    But if anyone doesn't mind sharing tips with me, help travels down hill. But then again, other things do also.

The admins have been kind to fortune "we yanks" with a section to share our findings.
    I guarantee that questions and invited private messages won't lie stagnant, even if it's an I-don't-know-but-i'll-try-to-find-out reply.

Will stay tuned to the E2 forum here and try to keep the messages down. So sorry for that.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!