cant get broadband studio to connect

There are 29 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 7,978 times. The last Post () by loady.

• Ok... I have everything in need to perform the jtag.

EZ-USB FX2LP CY7C68013A-56 USB2.0 Develope Board Module Logic Analyzer EEPROM

broadcom broadband studio 3 ,version 3.1.50315.13 which is essentially 3.1

Bcm97358.msi which is run to install it to broadband studio 3

WinbondW25Q32BV.bin which is put in the flashes directory of broadband studio, i did notice that this is a .bin file, all the other files inside folder are .xml files of 1Kb, im guessing this is just a kind of link to point the program where to download that file.

Now, the WinbondW25Q32BV.bin i got was originally named CFE_ZSH1_WinbondW25Q32BV.bin but i removed the front part as it wouldnt show up.

The problem i have is getting broadband studio 3 to connect to the zgemma, im told to plug the cypress board into the usb port on laptop and it should be picked up, i hear the noise windows makes when it picks up the device but it is shown as an unknown device, i did read that you dont need to install drivers for it as they are contained in broadband studio 3, not sure if that is correct or not. I then open broadband studio 3 and got to devices and select Bcm97358 and then to switch on the zgemma at which point it is supposed to change from disconnected to connected, this is where i am stumped, i cant get it to connect so i cant move forward from here.

I am using a windows 10 laptop which is 64bit and noticed that broadband studio is 32bit but that shouldnt be a probelm, i have also tried all of the above on a standard desktop pc running win7, so i am not sure what is causing the problem or what i can try, all the wires are connected properly and correctly. Im really banging my head against the wall now and wondering if the box is past bricked , like properly fekked.

• Official Post

I have never been able to get BBstudio to work with anything other than windows XP, others have done so but requires a lot of messing with drivers.

The connections for the zgemma are here:

2aea082bf.jpg

I get asked a lot for this, it is on the forum somewhere..... if you do get sorted please do a guide for the zgemma for the benefit of everyone. TIA

• from my past uses with BB studio it only runs on 32 bit windows, I could be wrong if it has been updated. I had a 32 bit image of windows I used to run it to jtag cloud ibox`s worked every time but did try it on 64 bit windows and was always errers.

hope this helps.

Vu Solo 4K Running OpenBlackhole 5.1

MultiSat

Panasonic 55" 4k OLED Model TX-55902B

• im trying to jtag a zgemma h2, i have been following this guide and am using it on a windows 10 laptop, i did try on another desktop pc but think that may also be 64 bit..i cant get bbs3 to connect either, i have even tried installing drivers for the cypress board which you apparently dont need to do as bbs3 carries the drivers.

wonder if i apply compatibility mode to it, run it as xp...im not holding my breath

• Official Post

im trying to jtag a zgemma h2, i have been following this guide and am using it on a windows 10 laptop, i did try on another desktop pc but think that may also be 64 bit..i cant get bbs3 to connect either, i have even tried installing drivers for the cypress board which you apparently dont need to do as bbs3 carries the drivers.

wonder if i apply compatibility mode to it, run it as xp...im not holding my breath

i would try this:

http://www.download3k.com/arti…-or-8-using-Hyper-V-00770

I will never get rid of my old xp machine with its real serial port, it is still far too useful for old software that simply worked.

• That looks interesting..I will try this first

• well that guide to install a virtual machine was detailed and comprehensive, very pleased with it. A little problem now post installation, i need drivers for my USB on this laptop, i thought i would just copy them right out of the the host win10 laptop im using but the VM does not see the drives of the win10 laptop...scratching my head a bit, i dont think finding the drivers is going to be an issue, more so getting them into the VM

• Official Post

so i got a win xp vm up and running with internet connection but i think i am scuppered by the fact i cant utilise the usb ports into the xp vm :(

Crap one.... perhaps you could partition the hard drive and have dual boot ?? I have linux and wind 10 on the same machine but i did it from new.... not sure what else to suggest sorry

• hmmmm..its certainly an option but might be easier to just get some old junk pc from somewhere and use that, i have a few mainboards knocking around, possibly even with serial ports, However, i am very close now and want to see if this virtualization works for this, i have been reading that i could use the ports over IP protocol with fitting software

• just taken a look round the back of a win 7 machine i built for the dolly sometime ago, it is a 64bit o/s on it but it does have a serial port if any use..not seen guides using the serial port though.

• Think i have identified the winbond chip 25Q32FVSIG and wonder if i can remove it and reflash it, not sure if they are erasable or write once, HERE IS THE DATA SHEET

THIS EBAY SELLER will sell the chip pre programmed if i send him the correct file, i have a good solder station for hot air rework, might be worth doing it myself and get a few of them and could offer it as a service to the forum for a small fee. Ithink if this way will work, for me it is going to be easier than all this faffing around not having a win xp machine.

HERE IS MY SOCKET ADAPTOR for my usb programmer....thinking this will do the job, does the bit where it says 200/209mil mean it will do that range ?..the winbond data sheet for the chip in STB states 208mil

Edited once, last by loady ().

• Official Post

Think i have identified the winbond chip 25Q32FVSIG and wonder if i can remove it and reflash it, not sure if they are erasable or write once, HERE IS THE DATA SHEET

THIS EBAY SELLER will sell the chip pre programmed if i send him the correct file, i have a good solder station for hot air rework, might be worth doing it myself and get a few of them and could offer it as a service to the forum for a small fee. Ithink if this way will work, for me it is going to be easier than all this faffing around not having a win xp machine.

HERE IS MY SOCKET ADAPTOR for my usb programmer....thinking this will do the job, does the bit where it says 200/209mil mean it will do that range ?..the winbond data sheet for the chip in STB states 208mil

That is exactly right, i have done this for several boxes, the bootloader is stored there...so simply flash with the boot.bin file (aka bootloader)

Before you throw away or erase the old chip see if there is anything on it. ?

How did the box get bricked in the first place, try as i may.... i am yet to brick a zgemma myself but did recover a couple for a mate a while ago.... good luck

• Can you confirm I located the correct chip..I might take this one out and see what's on it as you said then erase it and reflash.

I had managed to get it back to boot but was still looping so I flashed the bootloader from zgemma site and after that I was left with red light and blank LCD. The wimdbond chip is very close to that heatsink which is in the way a bit, the heatsink seems to be glued on pretty hard.

• i have found some old spansion chips that i used to use for ambit modems back in the day, they are spansion S25FL016A and i am thinking i can possibly write the bootloader to this and solder it in, you think it will do the same job, i think its just a different brand chip as they are both serial eeprom i think the sapnsion one though is 16mb.

I have just written the z gemma bootloader to the spansion S25FL0168*SOIC8 and it has taken it ok, as i have to desolder the WINBOND chip out of the zgemma i think i might just solder in the spansion and see if it has worked, would i expect to see the LCD back up and ruinning, ie saying boot ?

Edited 3 times, last by loady: added some hyperlinks ().

• Official Post

i have found some old spansion chips that i used to use for ambit modems back in the day, they are spansion S25FL016A and i am thinking i can possibly write the bootloader to this and solder it in, you think it will do the same job, i think its just a different brand chip as they are both serial eeprom i think the sapnsion one though is 16mb.

I have just written the z gemma bootloader to the spansion S25FL0168*SOIC8 and it has taken it ok, as i have to desolder the WINBOND chip out of the zgemma i think i might just solder in the spansion and see if it has worked, would i expect to see the LCD back up and ruinning, ie saying boot ?

The make of chip should not matter, but you do need to triple check the pin outs are the same, and voltages....check the specs of both to compare....normally you can find sites that will compare the makes for you....

the mb size of chip i am not sure if that will make a difference or not ?? Bigger should be okay?? Not tried myself...

The heatsink should free up easier with some heat from your work station... carefull as you do not want the chip it is protecting to come up with it.. jtag is easier as im sure you know lol.

If it works you should get boot in the lcd display, as soon as you see "boot" remove power cable, then flash with a fresh image,

download whatever image and rename the file "no force" to "force"

Use rear usb port

Use a usb stick with a light in it so you can see when the stick is actually in use

do not connect anything else, no hdmi, no usb drives, sat cables etc etc

• voltage is same but there are some pins with slightly different naming conventions, would you mind taking a look at the screen shot and see if you agree the purpose of the pinouts are the same just that abbreviationing is slightly different. I am erasing the chip so any space not used should be empty.

screenshot here

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!