Xpeed LX3 repair to power supply **ALL XPEED LX3 OWNERS SHOULD CHECK THEIR BOX**

There are 41 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 7,323 times. The last Post () by aido.

• Official Post

I have had my xpeed lx3 at least 3 years now, i bought it the week of first release.

The box died a while ago whilst watching telly. Firstly it rebooted itself and worked for a little while, then it did it again.

I thought it was an image problem so reflashed and reinstalled a older backup, again after a few hours it rebooted itself.

I then became convinced the bootloader had become corrupted somehow so flashed that, and an even older backup......

Within minutes it rebooted itself and then would not boot up again, no display on front panel, network dead, no power to usb ports. DEAD...

I could however hear the hard drive spin up when powered....

Not to give up on things easily i took it to bits to see if i could find anything obvious, luckily for me i did.

There were 2 quite obviously bulging capacitors on the power supply board, i bought the bits, changed them an happy days it lives again:thumbup:

DO NOT do what i did above and flash your bootloader when you box presents these symptoms....,

i am very very lucky it did not loose power during the bootloader flash or the would xpeed would certainly be a brick now.

My mate has the exact same box bought at about the same time, when i checked his cap's they too were bulging and had leaked fluid onto

the power supply board...I strongly suggest you check your box and change the caps to prevent any further damage to other parts....

I will now be changing those caps every year as a matter of course, it is well worth the 20 minutes and 3 quid to keep the old girl going.

The capacitors pictured below are:

1 x 1000uF 10v

1 x 1000uF 25v

ce1ff2361ecb78.jpg

bc3c519269935d.jpg

Hopes this helps someone else, add to this thread any of your own findings, pics etc etc

With thanks to philthy, detailed instructions:

1: REMOVE THE MAINS POWER FROM THE BOX !!!!!!

2: Remove the 5 screws that hold the metal lid on the box, and slide it to the rear to remove it.

3: If your box has an internal hard drive (I can't imagine many don't?), remove the screws and the SATA/power cable, from the drive, and lift it out of its cradle. Put it to one side.

4: The ribbon cable that connects the power supply to other components is underneath it. Gently press on the tab on the side of the connector strip to unplug it (you might need to get a flat edged screwdriver to prise the tab on the side of the connector to allow the plug to be removed, be gentle). DO NOT try to remove the end that is connected to the pcb (printed circuit board) of the power supply itself, it is fixed, and permanent. If you break that end, you'll have a lot of soldering to do to rectify it.

5: Unplug the "molex" connector that feeds the hard drive.

6: Unplug the small two pin connector which is the mains power supply to the pcb.

7: Unscrew the four screws (one at each corner) that hold the pcb onto the chassis of the box.

8: Jiggle the board out of the box, so you have it free in your hand. (Not strictly necessary, but removing and soldering components in place can be tricky, this makes it easy).

9: Locate the capacitors mentioned above, and identify where they are soldered to the pcb.

10: Remove the capacitor/s ( TAKE NOTE OF THE POLARITY OF THE CAPACITOR AS YOU REMOVE IT). The Capacitors have markings identifying positive and negative terminals. Usually on capacitors, it is the negative (-ve). Again, usually it is a stripe on the side of the capacitor with a "-" or -ve" marking on it. Use a soldering iron of a low wattage, and de-soldering tape, or a "solder sucker". If you're lazy like me, or can't find your solder sucker, simply apply the soldering iron to on side of the capacitor and as the solder melts, apply pressure to pull the connection through the board. Do the same to the other side, and don't worry if you don't get it in one go, simply do one side and then the other to stagger it out. Once the capacitor is off the board, use the soldering iron to clean the solder away from the connection so you can see the hole which you will have to put the legs of the new capacitor though. If the hole is blocked with solder, you won't be able to get the legs back through the board to position it.

10: Once you have replaced the capacitor with the new one, apply the soldering iron, and solder it back to the board. If, like me you have used a higher voltage version of the capacitor, you will probably need to "jiggle" it to make sure it doesn't put pressure on the components surrounding it, as the capacitor will be slightly larger than the original. It's ok if it touches other components, and won't short out that way, but for air flow and thermal reasons, leave a gap. There's plenty of room.

11: Replace the power supply pcb board back in the chassis, connect all the relevant cables/plugs from it and the hard drive, and put the lid of the lx3 back on.

12: Connect all the relevant leads HDMI/ethernet/dish connections etc. The last connection you should make, is putting the mains cable back into the box. Power it up.

13: The box should show the normal booting/loading/percentage....etc etc, that it usually does, and load up.

14: Put the kettle on/crack a beer.

15: Enjoy

• Ordered on Fleabay for the princely sum of £1.38 !, Should be here Tuesday. I'm going to replace both caps with 25V versions. It doesn't make any difference to performance, just makes it less likely the 10V one will fail again. When I was repairing TV's and videos, we frequently beefed up blown caps with higher voltage rated versions. I'll keep an eye on the 25V one, and might uprate that to a 33V if necessary?

• As is typical, scratching around in the bit box at work revealed a bag full of 50 V 1000uf caps. I've wasted £1.38 !!! ;-)

All working brilliantly. Updated to latest openvix release, and fresh bootloader, and she's flying.

A virtual beer to you Jenseneverest :thumbup:

Thank you very much.

I took the liberty of mentioning your thread on world of sat, as another lx3 owner had the exact same symptoms, hopefully, he finds it as useful as I did.

For those of you that may be interested, the 50v capacitor is slightly larger than the standard, but there is plenty of room to lift it off the board, and keep it away from the nearby components. The higher voltage rating should beef up its tolerance to anything the power supply can throw at it.

• Just out of interest would it be possible for either or both of you to do a tutorial on changing caps i realise you have kindly put pics on etc but what im getting at is describing if they are difficult to fit or solder etc i for one would certainly be interested for any future problems i may encounter with boxes meanwhile as ive said earlier great thread its a learning thread for all

Helping others is always a better feeling than helping yourself

• Official Post

Just out of interest would it be possible for either or both of you to do a tutorial on changing caps i realise you have kindly put pics on etc but what im getting at is describing if they are difficult to fit or solder etc i for one would certainly be interested for any future problems i may encounter with boxes meanwhile as ive said earlier great thread its a learning thread for all

Okay mate basic solder tips and techniques can be found in hundreds of youtube videos. This is a very easy job if you know how... all of my solder "skills" are self learnt from trial and error mostly... best to experiment on old scrap parts you dont mind binning...

Have a good read up and if your not happy taking on the job yourself then take it to an electronics expert, such as a mobile phone repair shop or a TV repair shop and i am sure they could do the job in 5 minutes for what should be a small fee....

I will however say a few basics i probably should have mentioned in the original post.....

You are dealing with a 220v power supply, obviously there is enough voltage there to kill you so best to disconnect the power before you go poking around in the box. That said capacitors can also hold voltage for weeks after power has been disconnected so you should not short out any of the power supply components as that will potentially damage other parts. Whilst the xpeed power supply dose not have any caps with voltage high enough to kill you, (with power disconnected) i can not say that for other boxes power supply's as they may differ....

Capacitors also have negative and positive polls, so they need to be fitted in the correct orientation.

Luckily most boxes now use external power supply, it would seem most of the ones with internal power supply all have similar issues, the likes of xtrend and VU duo to name a couple....

• I'll echo Jensen's comments about making sure the mains connection is DISCONNECTED before even removing the cover to start looking at this fix. The potential for shock after that is very small, and in my experience, the size of capacitors in these power supplies aren't enough to give you even a small shock, but as he says, shorting something to anther component could easily blow something else. Transistors and Integrated circuits don't handle sudden power surges well. That said, this is a very easy fix, as again he says, which should be a very simple procedure.

I'm a bit pressed for time until the weekend, where I hope to get the box off the shelf, and strip it to take pictures and do a proper tutorial, but here's a basic tutorial:

1: REMOVE THE MAINS POWER FROM THE BOX !!!!!!

2: Remove the 5 screws that hold the metal lid on the box, and slide it to the rear to remove it.

3: If your box has an internal hard drive (I can't imagine many don't?), remove the screws and the SATA/power cable, from the drive, and lift it out of its cradle. Put it to one side.

4: The ribbon cable that connects the power supply to other components is underneath it. Gently press on the tab on the side of the connector strip to unplug it (you might need to get a flat edged screwdriver to prise the tab on the side of the connector to allow the plug to be removed, be gentle). DO NOT try to remove the end that is connected to the pcb (printed circuit board) of the power supply itself, it is fixed, and permanent. If you break that end, you'll have a lot of soldering to do to rectify it.

5: Unplug the "molex" connector that feeds the hard drive.

6: Unplug the small two pin connector which is the mains power supply to the pcb.

7: Unscrew the four screws (one at each corner) that hold the pcb onto the chassis of the box.

8: Jiggle the board out of the box, so you have it free in your hand. (Not strictly necessary, but removing and soldering components in place can be tricky, this makes it easy).

9: Locate the capacitors mentioned in this thread, and identify where they are soldered to the pcb. In my case, only one capacitor had bulged, so it was easy as it's close to the edge of the board.

10: Remove the capacitor/s ( TAKE NOTE OF THE POLARITY OF THE CAPACITOR AS YOU REMOVE IT). The Capacitors have markings identifying positive and negative terminals. Usually on capacitors, it is the negative (-ve). Again, usually it is a stripe on the side of the capacitor with a "-" or -ve" marking on it. Use a soldering iron of a low wattage, and de-soldering tape, or a "solder sucker". If you're lazy like me, or can't find your solder sucker, simply apply the soldering iron to on side of the capacitor and as the solder melts, apply pressure to pull the connection through the board. Do the same to the other side, and don't worry if you don't get it in one go, simply do one side and then the other to stagger it out. Once the capacitor is off the board, use the soldering iron to clean the solder away from the connection so you can see the hole which you will have to put the legs of the new capacitor though. If the hole is blocked with solder, you won't be able to get the legs back through the board to position it.

10: Once you have replaced the capacitor with the new one, apply the soldering iron, and solder it back to the board. If, like me you have used a higher voltage version of the capacitor, you will probably need to "jiggle" it to make sure it doesn't put pressure on the components surrounding it, as the capacitor will be slightly larger than the original. It's ok if it touches other components, and won't short out that way, but for air flow and thermal reasons, leave a gap. There's plenty of room.

11: Replace the power supply pcb board back in the chassis, connect all the relevant cables/plugs from it and the hard drive, and put the lid of the lx3 back on.

12: Connect all the relevant leads HDMI/ethernet/dish connections etc. The last connection you should make, is putting the mains cable back into the box. Power it up.

13: The box should show the normal booting/loading/percentage....etc etc, that it usually does, and load up.

14: Put the kettle on/crack a beer.

15: Enjoy

Edited once, last by philthy: Clarifying that mains connection should not be made until every other connection is done, and the box is fully covered. ().

• I think this thread could learn everyone something and even though ive been in the hobby since the very start ive learned a little so many thanks guys for taking the time to write it i will certainly come back to this thread if i get issues on a box and need to buy caps --i have found this thread a great read and detailed pics --thanks again

Helping others is always a better feeling than helping yourself

• A couple of edited pictures:

It doesn't matter what voltage you use, as long as you have the same value capacitor (1000uF). I have used the 50 volt version, to give it greater resistance to damage, but you could replace the original 10 volt capacitor with an identical capacitor if you wish. Note the - marking on the side of the capacitors in this picture, and the shorter pins.

05e93d.jpg

The xpeed LX3 power supply board (nicked off Jensen's post ;-) ) It has a fixing screw at each corner. It has two removable plugs on the board. The are the 2 pin mains electricity connector, and the standard molex connector (shown in this picture) for the hard drive. It has a white ribbon cable attached to it, which DOES NOT disconnect from the board. It is fixed to the board, and should be disconnected by unplugging it from its connector which sits underneath the hard drive.

b0bc7dabd41d351091e1479b.jpg

A picture of my Venton HD2 power supply which is very similar. Note that the negative side of the capacitor mounting point is indicated by a black cap or sector. It is very similar on the xpeed LX3 board. As you remove the offending capacitor/s you will see the marking underneath the old capacitor. Replace the new capacitor with the same polarity.

a80e745614cc.jpg

Edited 3 times, last by philthy ().

• Thanks for the heads up guys - I finally got around to doing mine today!

I used these Panasonic capacitors as hopefully they'll outlive me and the box:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0…3187911_185740111_TE_item

The hardest part for me was getting the old capacitors out as it's only the second time I've ever soldered but it's gone well and the box came up first time so I'll keep an eye out to see if I still get the random reboots like I was prior to doing this.

In my case only one of the caps was bulging which was the 10v one, but I replaced both anyway so fingers crossed for more reliable service :)

Thanks again for the heads up - it was much easier than I'd expected!

• UPDATE:

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but my box was dead this morning.

I've swapped out the power supply with the one in my venton hd2, and tested the xpeed lx3 one in that as well. Both power supplies are fine, and power the hd2 properly. Nothing at all in the xpeed lx3. Which means, that it has got to be the main board :thumbdown:

If I have any news, I'll update.

• Official Post

UPDATE:

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but my box was dead this morning.

I've swapped out the power supply with the one in my venton hd2, and tested the xpeed lx3 one in that as well. Both power supplies are fine, and power the hd2 properly. Nothing at all in the xpeed lx3. Which means, that it has got to be the main board :thumbdown:

If I have any news, I'll update.

Ffs.....mine died last week....

But I think I have seen issue's with other caps on mine. Still waiting for fleabay to deliver some of them.

• my friends lx3 has died, I have stripped it down to get the PSU out, only 1 capacitor is bulging, but not 1 in the photos it is situtated next to the yellow capacitor, can anyone advise what to do, the capacitor is 16v if that make any difference

• Official Post

my friends lx3 has died, I have stripped it down to get the PSU out, only 1 capacitor is bulging, but not 1 in the photos it is situtated next to the yellow capacitor, can anyone advise what to do, the capacitor is 16v if that make any difference

mine is still dead, i have not looked at it since as has been replaced by a new box:sadgun:

My advise would be to replace as many of the caps as you can, they will all go eventually, the damaged ones affect the others as they in turn over work and overheat /leak fluid.

• I saw this post and it sparked my interest. I repair vintage audio equipment here in the USA.
    We have several suppliers here. Newark, Mouser, DigiKey.
    Capacitors in modern switching power supplies like shown here are known to fail frequently.
    Some soldering skills are a given. Proper temperature, correct solder, and no solder bridging between traces. Fresh desoldering braid and an ok solder sucker.
    Please replace with known quality equivalents. Panasonic, Nichicon are a couple.
    Asian electronics are notorious for inferior capacitors. Some even are fakes of name brands.
    It's ok to replace electrolytics with a higher voltage rating. Actually it's a wise thing provided you have the footprint to do so.
    Everything to make you dangerous is posted here. But work wise and work safe.
    While at it check for adequate soldering and look for "solder circles"..components that appear to not have the leads flowed with solder to the PC board.
    Nice post.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!