Guide me / upgrade

There are 10 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,383 times. The last Post () by methchild.

• Upgraded my tv to a nice spangly UHD and looking to pair it with a 4k sat box to replace my ageing Humax Foxsat HDR which has a measly hard drive and with the image blown up to 55 inches is starting to look quite shabby.

There are two LNB wires coming from the wall plate, I suspect the previous occupant had SKY , they just connect straight into the back of the Humax and I had to do nothing more than scan for freesat channels and it has been that way for probably 6 years now.

My budget tops out at probably £200.

I'd ideally like to just swap out the Humax for the chosen new device with little or no other changes.

i'd like uhd/4k

I do not have an external aerial so terrestrial broadcast support is not required.

I typically time-shift all but live sporting events so storage on-board or to external devices / net shares and the like would be useful.

Good community support for images is also desirable.

from my cursory research it seems that the Mutant HD51 4K UHD ticks all the boxes

are there others that I should consider?

am I missing any obvious contenders ?

regards and thanks for your time.

MDD

• Official Post

not much in 4k on sky, couple of test channels and that is it, but buying a 4k box should future proof the purchase if things change...

The hd51 is a good box and can be bought from the site sponsor (highly recommended)

Slightly cheaper and very similar is the zgemma h7

For a budget twin tuner box under 200 quid those are the best ones i can think of

Both boxes have good support and internal hdd space as well as usb3 connection on the rear (i have 10 tb storage on my h7)

Network share works with any enigma2 box

• Official Post

thanks for the tip , just read your review of the zgemma, lots of useful info in there,

the images you posted with it show only one lnb input , it that right ?

that review was on the h7c, the cable version, you would want the h7s which is 2 x sat tuner and 1 x cable

• The Mutant HD51 is one of our best selling UHD receivers.

You might also want to consider the following to:

Gigablue UHD UE 4K, only £209 and has TWIN FBC Satellite tuners, swap you LNB for a Unicable LNB and you'll have 8 tuners:

https://www.world-of-satellite…eivers/gigablue-uhd-ue-4k

VU+ Uno 4K SE, above your budget at £249, again with FBC Satellite tuners:

https://www.world-of-satellite…us-uno-4k-se-fbc-dvb-s-s2

world-of-satellite-banner.gif
    Official Sponsor of the OpenViX Team

Official Distributor of Formuler, Edision, GiGaBlue, Mut@nt Technomate, VU+, and many more...

Secure online ordering - Paypal and all major cards accepted - Order online 7 days a week!

PRICE MATCH PROMISE - WE'LL TRY TO MATCH ANY UK PRICE*

*SEEN ANY PRODUCT CHEAPER? CONTACT US AND WE’LL TRY TO MATCH LIKE FOR LIKE!

• Thanks for the alternatives world-of-satellite.co.uk :thumbup:

I had thought this would be straightforward, more options , more choice :D

Lemme see if I have this right then, my current setup with two connectors from the wall to the Humax gives me two channels to watch/record at the same time.

FBC tuners give eight per connector but require a compatible LNB ? (i'm not good with ladders, you should see my upstairs windows ,filthy, the prospect of switching LNB makes me light headed)

=========

I have now read the excellent info by abu baniaz over at W-O-S forum regarding FBC.

My thoughts are that while it would be nice to have I don't think it is something I need at the moment.

I have one TV and I barely have enough time to watch what I record as it is , most shows that interest me are repeated many times and are generally on the +1 channels afterwards, the Humax HDR Freesat does as much as I need for watching / recording except for the limited capacity and low image quality.

given that I could just swap out the Humax for a Mut@nt HD51 at a lower price point than the alternatives I think I am headed that way.

Edited once, last by methchild: update ().

• You can use an FBC tuner with conventional LNBs. The 6 non-physical tuners will operate in loop-through mode.

An FBC module/unit is two physical connections and 6 non-physical ones. Total of eight. If you have Unicable, only one connection on a module needs to have a signal wire attached.

So, the legacy lnb connectors ( there are two connectors), will just plug n play in a FBC tuner on the two suggested alternatives?

this would then give me the option at a later date to upgrade the old sky dish / lnb should my needs change?

the mutant HD51 has modular tuners

DVB-S/S2

DVB-C/T/T2

DVB-S/S2/S2X

but no FBC as far as I can see so wouldn't give me that option in the future

• Official Post

So, the legacy lnb connectors ( there are two connectors), will just plug n play in a FBC tuner on the two suggested alternatives?

this would then give me the option at a later date to upgrade the old sky dish / lnb should my needs change?

Correct. You can use an FBC tuner with universal LNBs. You can update later if you want to. Your viewing/recording habits may not require it.

Correct. Mutant HD51 does not have FBC tuners.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!