HOW TO EXTRACT, MODIFY AND INSTALL IPK (WINDOWS PC)

There are 10 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 12,244 times. The last Post () by dougalbug.

• It's sunday, I have had my redbull, so might as well give you a full detailed answer.

It all depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Are you just wanting to look into the code to see how somebody has done something.

Or are you wanting to amend the plugin/skin code and rebuild the IPK. Which is a bit more work.

The easiest way to extract an IPK on windows is to use 7zip.

https://www.7-zip.org/download.html

Then double clicking on the ipk will give you normally 3 folders

debian-binary

data.tar.gz

control.tar.gz

You can ignore debian-binary and control.tar.gz but all your files live in data.tar.gz

Keep double clicking on the folders in data.tar.gz and you will eventually come to all your files .

which will give you a folder structure of something like this.

\data.tar.gz\data.tar\.\usr\lib\enigma2\python\Plugins\Extensions\youripkfolder

Copy the root folder of the files you want to your computer somewhere.

Now if this is a skin, you will be presented with a load of xml files. Use notepad++ or an xml editor like xml wrench to amend the code.

If this is a plugin, you will probably be presented with a load of python compiled files. in the format PYO.

Pyo files are not readable. You would have to decompile them into py files.

You can decompile PYO files with "easy python decompiler".

https://sourceforge.net/projects/easypythondecompiler/files/

This is a drag a drop utility. Drag them into the program, rename the created decomplied file with a py extension.
    Open the files up in a text editor like notepad++, I personally use Geany for editing python files but that is a bit more work to set up. But you can google it to find out how to set up geany and python if need be. It isn't really required though.

Now if editting py files, spaces and tabs are important and must match surrounding lines indents. Failure to keep the same tabbing structure will result in the file not compiling at run time.

Once you have editted your IPK then you need to

1) If you have already installed the original IPK on your box, its just case of copying of the editted individual file to the correct location.

2) if you haven't installed the original IPK on your box, you need to rebuild your IPK and install it. That is more fun and games. Let me know if this is what you want to do.

** A person who feels appreciated will always do more than what is expected **

• and by the way you won't find much code of intrested in xtreamtv plugin. A lot of the code is brought in externally at runtime.

I know, I have looked ;)

** A person who feels appreciated will always do more than what is expected **

Edited once, last by KiddaC ().

• if you haven't installed the original IPK on your box, you need to rebuild your IPK and install it.

hi i know this is old tread .my aim is to insert playlist to xtreamity and send it to a friend he live far away from me ,he has tried to edit the playlist himself but hes a noob . i can decompile xtreamity and add the the playlist to /ect/enigma2 but rebuilding the ipk is my problem ..any help please

Edited once, last by sullytr ().

• sullytr

install java
    https://java.com/en/download/h…dows_manual_download.html

extract the ipk-creator attached.

create your folder structure somewhere on your computer.

Make sure control file from the IPK goes in CONTROL folder
    Other files go in XStreamity Folder (as shown)
    Place an amended playlists.txt file in etc/enigma2/xstreamity

67a6d7b538be3c3b.png

open ipk-creator from the run.bat command in that software folder.
    Select the XStreamity folder highlighted blue above.

Your app should then look similar to this

600c70beaed3801a158dddd6f.png

create IPK File

• THANK YOU MY FRIEND A STAR YOU ARE :cool1:

• KiddaC , noticed you are using ipk creator version 3 do you prefer that version over the newer ones I use version 6 it is .exe file.

The CONTROL folder was one thing I did have problems with I had two one i data and other seperate and it used to ectract the control files to tmp but got it sorted eventually with keeping control folder out of plugin folder :)

• how do you recompile the py when done

thanks

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!