New user in North America

There are 24 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 4,717 times. The last Post () by Sat000info.

• Hello All,

I am a new user, octagon sf8008, I m seeking help to get started viewing the north american satellites. Is this possible for this location, what files and/equipment will I need.

I am using the purE2 image.

Thank you,

K

Edited once, last by kenno ().

• Official Post

cowboy6 was also looking for help from that side of the pond. ( via PM - use the forum gents, that way everyone helps each other)

oh and bubbs16

Perhaps a section should be added ?? master G

You guys all use C band satellite no ???

• For right now yes. Working on finding a C/ku scalar and ku lnbf that works for sats on this side of the salty drink.
    Jenseneverest you've been a great help getting me started.
    I've been running ku here for several years but on static dishes.

• When I first started here I was asked to post logs and screen shots.
    One of the common comments was "If I can't see your satellite it will be hard to help fix your problem"
    This is predominately a UK site. So the comment was true. Logs don't always help.
    Guy's, you'll have to supply more info here or in PM's or we cant help you.
    Simple.

• Good morning all,

I am using a C/KU band setup, I can view all the sats for my area, 58W to 135W I tried to load an oscam with emulator and I failed miserably. I really did not know how to configure properly. Do I need to purchase more equipment such as some type of card.

Thank you,

K

• Yawwn. It's early. More coffee...or tea for jensen.
    It was a bit confusing for me and reading and searching for every key set I could find was exhausting. In the 2 months or so I've had my old dish set back up from years of setting.
    I tried a few builds of Enigma2 for my receiver and settled back to OpenATV 6.2.
    I'm using OScamPowervu11438. After trying several lower numbered versions I was surprised to find that it worked glitch free.
    It was on a fresh install of openatv and I performed all of the updates before finding an ipk of 11438.

I found other versions were unstable in that I had to 'kick-start' it in the Softcam Panel repeatedly to get it (and keep it) working.
    The key file is full of updated keys. AFN on 99W came in first. I was psyched....it simply popped in and worked.
    But they are all keys for sats I cant get.

I think enigma 1969 is either very busy, or his language barrier for english is balky. He's the "guru".
    Anyway he was the one who mentioned that if he can't see the sat, how can he help troubleshoot.

AFN is working for me. It is apparently is using keys for 9.0E but they work on 99W.
    If your pv keys start with P 0000 or P 00000000, you need to fix that right away by inserting the SID in hex there.

If you start getting channels and do your edits from the ocsam webif, as the file gets bigger by oscam adding info automatically....

You'll get to a point where the file will no longer save. So you will have to edit the list using your favorite FTP application.

I'm not so great reading logs yet. And to be honest the ones I posted to get help were looked at and diagnosed in terms that were very confusing to me.
    Even after reading the wiki. Because I'm new at this and it's quite detailed for such a small program.

I'd say this is a good place to start if you live this side of cheese and wine and....Guiness (yeahhhhhh)!

One last thing. Don't get a slap on the wrist here. Read the rules.
    Your keys that work (or don't) may be like your secret fishing hole. Share them in PM's or here wisely.

• Good morning Guys,

supwiddiss I got AFN working , I took your suggestion using an ocam powervu emulator, was about to try another oscam, I decided to load my keys from another type of box with those existing keys, after about 10 minutes afn started working. yahooo. My next step is to backup fully, then try testing diffrerent setups and key combinations. I live in the southwest, boots, trucks and cattle lol, after work tonight I will test some more.

Thanks to all for the assistance.

K

• Hello all, supwiddiss  bubbs16

I tried to edit my key file, no luck I can only get AFN on 99w, on a few other satellites, 101w and 125w I can receive audio on a few of those transponders. I am trying to find a key file for satellites in this region. I settled on the purE2 , and openatv image.

Thanks,

K

• I'm new to this site and have only been in this hobby about a year and am still learning. I just recently learned about EMM keys. I'm reading in these posts about oscam and have no idea what it is. I thought it was something that is used in Europe and Middle East, not in N. America. I am in south central USA and am using a 7 foot mesh dish and a C band LNBF. I receive satellites from 87.0W to 139.0W. I can get lower than 87.0W, but those are all Spanish channels and of no interest to me. I'm using a Hellobox V5 receiver and am getting all the Power Vu channels with the exception of the Epix channels on 101.0W SES1. The Hellobox V5 is autoroll and automatically loads the proper keys. I just recently got this receiver and am pleased with it's performance. It is by far the best receiver I have tried yet. I've tried loading those keys from my Hellobox into a Freesat receiver, but they wouldn't work in it. I found out the hellobox scrambles their keys so that they may not be used in other receivers.
    I also have a Freesat V8 Super that I have been using for a while and had many keys loaded in it, but could only get channels from Galaxy 17 unlocked. I recently found out the Super 8 is also auto roll, however you have to have EMM keys loaded first. I've found keys for several satellites and have opened the channels on those satellites. I'm still in search of more keys. I have also downloaded and installed Power Vu Home Edition and am trying to learn how to use it to search for EMM keys.

• I am very new to all of this also.
    Google is your friend. Oscam and it's definition is readily explained. Look on lyngsat and find out how many satellites use powervu on channels.
    If I'm not mistaken the Hellobox depends on an Internet connection to update powervu and you are correct. The keys are in a format not readily turned into readable text.

This site mainly supports Linux Enigma2 receivers. Open source. Unlike your receivers which are closed source where the coding of firmware is kept under wraps. I don't have your boxes but have a few others for FTA. Both are closed source. No editing of what's not already built into them is possible.
    I hope that takes care of a few of your what-if's.
    My newest C band receiver is an Enigma2 box. Being Linux based it's very tweakable.

Tutorials are there to add keys into you receiver(s). Again, I'm not sure how your keys are exactly added but I have seen an update for one particular receiver which the file shows code for the main part and readable keys towards the end. Keys are for sats not seen by us.
    But, keys that work for eastern sats sometimes work for us also. Getting keys and manually formatting them is our task.

This may be totally incorrect as I'm trying to learn also. The guru's are tight about letting out information and tutorials are spotty at most.
    As I understand it.
    You need to record a lengthy scrambled channel. The channel recording settings must have provision to record EMM's (not stripped).
    You then run the recording through a program that finds and logs EMM's.
    Then you run the logged EMM's through pvhe. You have to have a robust computer and an Nvidia CUDA equipped graphics card.
    PVHE will then somehow deliver your pv keys.

As for me, we both have a lot of reading and learning and hopefully sharing what we have learned.

So far a few of my questions have sat there stagnant and didn't want for you to have the same experience.

If you have a few files you can export that may be in readable text you could post here perhaps we could figure a few things out.

Kenno put up one and I looked at it and think I managed to get us a few more channels.

Stay in touch.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!