Skin with support PIP in EPG?

There are 7 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,022 times. The last Post () by csontiba.

• Hi,

probably the subject is not the best definition what I really looking for.

Previously I had an CISCO IPTV box from a cabletv service provider. The EPG was semi-transparent, the actual program was running in the background and I could see the picture of selected channel in small, like PIP. This is an example where the Extreme channel is running in the background and AXN Sci-fi channel on the bottom left corner:

a19136fe12d.jpg

Is there any skin for OpenATV 6.2 which has similar EPG?

I have a multituner box so normal PIP is working.

• As a skinner I will try to answer your question in a way that you can understand.

To enable 2 tv screens, a mini tv screen and a larger tv screen in the background, your satellite box needs to be able to do picture in picture (PIP). Your satelite box also has to be at least a dual tuner.

Even nowadays not a lot of enigma2 boxes offer this functionality. Even some of the brand new boxes.

Without PIP functionality your box can only show one instance of a TV screen.

On a normal box without PIP, the EPG screens layout its entirely down to the skin you use and what that skin designer has chosen to do regarding what gets shown on a particular screen.

They choices being , show the tv in the background, show a mini tv or show no tv.

For example on most of my skins I show a mini tv somewhere on the epg screen.

Slyk Onyx Skin

dc637b2a.png

Even without PIP there is an option to preview selected channel in the settings.

So for example I can be on BBC1, bring up the EPG, click on E4 and the mini tv screen will change to that channel. On clicking ok again on E4 the EPG will close and open up your e4 channel. If I just click exit and not a 2nd OK, I just return to BBC1.

On boxes that have PIP functionality, you are correct you need to then use the virtual zap plugin.

This virtual zap plugin doesn't just make the magic happen. The skinner has to code in the elements of the virtual zap plugin into his skin to allow both a mini tv and a full screen tv on the same screen. Whether this be on the infobars or other screens. ( i think you can do this on other screens like the epg and not just the infobar).

Now because most skinners design their skins to be compatible with as many boxes as possible. They tend not to incorporate Virtual Zap and PIP into their skin screens, especially as they then have to get the user to also install the virtual zap plugin as well as the skin.

You will find lots of skins that have a mini tv on most of the screens, but those that take advantage of virtual zap are few and far between. Some do exist, but as I say.. most skinners don't bother.

Hope that helps.

** A person who feels appreciated will always do more than what is expected **

Edited 3 times, last by KiddaC ().

• Thank you KiddaC for the explanation, now it is clearer how it is working.

I have a Mut@nt HD530C box (triple DVB-C tuner) and normal PIP is working fine.

Currently I use the latest OpenATV 6.2 image with the default MetrixHD skin. I saw VirtualZap entries in the MetrixHD/skin_00p_plugins.xml config file, does it mean the skin support it?

I tried to use this image: enigma2-plugin-extensions-virtualzap_experimental-cvs20100307-r0_mipsel.ipk

• It seems the problem is partially solved, the PIP works with the infobar.

I double checked the settings and set the "usage" to "with long OK press" in the virtual zap config and this way I can get PIP in the infobar.

PiP in EPG is still not working but that is a different story I guess. I satisfied with this result now, it is "more than nothing".:)

KiddaC: you mentioned that only few skins support PIP+virtual zap. Do you know any of them? Can you recommend me a good one?

Where can I get the latest virtual zap image?

• Virtual zap is an old plugin. Don't even know if its still maintained.

If you google virtual zap and skins I am sure you will find both the modified plugin and some skins.

I would be selling my soul to the devil if I was recommending other skins ;)

** A person who feels appreciated will always do more than what is expected **

• Hehe, I understand it. :) So you do not made such a skin, right?

You are a professional skinner so do you know how difficult work is to modify the current skin to use the virtual zap in graphical epg mode also not just in info bar mode?

There is an option in graphical epg settings called "picture in graphic", if it is set to "no" then the channel preview is in full screen background else if it is yes then the preview is a minitv in the corner of the epg and the background is blank. I hope it can combine somehow with the virtualzap function to show both.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!