Lost Linux

There is 1 reply in this Thread which was already clicked 651 times. The last Post () by fuegos.

• Hello. I am new to this forum. As you will see I am no computer expert! I have installed Linux Mint from a memory stick on my Lenovo Think Pad Edge and kept Windows 10 on a separate partition. On completion of the installation I restarted the laptop as required. However on start up the laptop will automatically start Windows and not give me the option to load Linux Mint as advised. I have tried using the Enter key to change start up options but windows is still loaded. Is there any way to select the Linux option once Windows has loaded

• There are perhaps a number of possible reasons for this.

One is that Win-10 does not ordinarily fully shutdown, but does a kind of 'hybrid hibernate' of sorts - - it's MS's way of making Win-10 look like it shuts-down and boots-up faster, when all it is doing is coming in and out of hibernation.

Did you properly shutdown and fully power-off Win-10 before starting the Mint install process ??

ie

Code
    shutdown /s /f /t 0

Another possible will be to do with the UEFI not 'seeing' Mint. Some UEFI's require you to register the new operating system before it can be offered as an option on startup.

Was grub installed as part of your Mint installation ?

Booting Mint live from a USB will allow you to look at the disk partitions and structures

Without knowing detailed info on the laptop etc it's difficult to be specific. It's been many years since I used Mint for anything, but they have a cracking community over at https://forums.linuxmint.com/ where you will probably find some helpful knowledgeable people.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!