PurE2 new lease of life for old DM800HD SE and DM500HD

There are 6 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,531 times. The last Post () by gorski.

• These old machines have seriously well written drivers (low level programming) and semi-decent HW - well, for their time they were great - but even then 64MB flash was really stingy... However, they still have a great quality image, decryption works fine, I tested streaming and playback and they are also fine etc.

Given the small, tiny flash, enter Flodder, OpenMultiBoot and Flash Expander! (A few others, too - but these are noteworthy...) Small Flash suddenly becomes much bigger and these old ladies can still dance nicely! :)

Flodder works on original boxes only - although one version did not have the protection, allegedly (if anyone can find it...) - so beware!

It moves root ( / ) to a USB stick (all the folders and files, so one uses the stick as Flash.

OpenMultiBoot is installed as a plugin, from which you can install multiple images in a USB stick and it functions well now!

Flash Expander "expands" flash to a USB stick but only some folders...

Delfi of PurE2 went into it "a bit" and got us a little bit happier, I think... or at least less miserable... :cool1:

Here is his text, edited by yours truly...;)

Once it reboots you can go on messing about to your heart's content, with a peace of mind you will never run out of space installing plugins, skins, tools, picons, EPG and whatnot...

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/ets/CCREAD/etscc/kant.html

• Delfi's text, edited by me, here and there...

Flodder DM800HD SE PurE2 "How-to..."

I hope this helps a bit. It works rather nicely on my box.

Requirements:

USB stick or SSD

- It is wise to avoid old=slow USB sticks, new USB 3.0 stick from reliable sources seem to be fast even when running on USB 2.0 port

- It is unlikely that you would want to invest in an SSD for an old STB, but if you have an old one laying around, might be an interesting choice

- In either case, media should be formatted in Linux EXT4 partition (try to use another STB box or live Linux distribution, Windows EXT4 tools may or may not provide desired results [tools like Mini Tool Partition Wizard Free are OK, though...])

Procedure:

- Flash the latest DMM 800se (500hd if it has retrofitted USB ports) - see above for link to latest PurE2 images...

- When in Start Wizard, please *do* choose to delete other languages to save space!
    - Proceed with setup as you please, but please do NOT install anything (channel lists, cams, etc.) *yet*!!!
    - When done with the wizard, there are two ways to proceed:

1) Menu > open pManager > go to script > choose User script > Start script > select DoFlodder.sh > run once > "yes"

- The box will reboot and take some time to prepare USB stick.

- NOTE: the script is dumb and assumes that USB or SSD is mounted on /media/hdd

or

2) telnet to the STB, root, pure2

- type "opkg update"

- type "opkg install flodder-boottool"

- type "mkdir /media/hdd/flodder" or "mkdir /media/usb/flodder" or wherever is your desired device

- type "reboot" to migrate to external media, wait...

After that is successfully done...

- Install some missing stuff, either of the 2 following ways:

1) Menu > pManager > Script > User script > Start script > InstallRest.sh > Only run once > "yes"

- Wait, it could take some time, really long time if your media is slow

- reboot

or

2) telnet to the STB, root, pure2

- type "opkg update"

- type "opkg install ca-certificates ffmpeg rsync "

- install whatever you may need like ch lists, extra-feed, plugins

- type "sync; sync"

- reboot

Notes:

- We use slightly modified DMM kernel but OpenMultiBoot works fine for these boxes now.

- Script InstallRest.sh installs a feed for some extra stuff like dFlash

"Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-incurred immaturity. Immaturity is the inability to use one's own understanding without the guidance of another. This immaturity is self-incurred if its cause is not lack of understanding, but lack of resolution and courage to use it without the guidance of another. The motto of enlightenment is therefore: Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!"

Edited once, last by gorski ().

• OpenMultiBoot

I tested this on my old Ferrari 500HD with Japhar SIM card and it's brilliant! :laugh1::rasta2bigsmoke0gf1:

Edited once, last by gorski ().

• Flash Expander

• So, if one has a "clone", i.e. F500HD with, for instance, Japhar SIM card, like I do - the patched image "DM500HD : PurE2 6.2 2019.01.05 (v3-v5)" is here:

Code
    http://www.ourdreambox.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=17936#Post17936

Or if one has an original with retrofitted USB ports - use an original PurE2 image for your box...

These FLASH EXPANDER instructions are for a clone with Japhar SIM card, using PurE2 image, of course...:laugh1:

gorski's 11 theses for 500HD/Japhar SIM bliss with Flash Expander :eye-tongue:

1) First thing one does is one partitions one's BIG and FAST USB 3.0 memory stick into 2 partitions (Mini Tool Partition Wizard freeware under Windows, for instance, is a good tool to do this with).

2) Then, one plugs the USB stick into one's 500HD. Old Ferrari clones have 2 USB ports: internal and external one.

3) Then, one mounts the 2 USB 3.0 stick partitions by going to:

MENU > pManager > Device Manager > Mount Manager > blue button > yellow button (to switch Automount OFF) > Exit > do this for both partitions on the USB stick.

4) Then, do not restart E2 but instead go back to mount those two partitions in a fixed manner, via FSTAB file.

How?

5) This you can do either by using the MENU or the BLUE button, then using the > or < buttons on your remote, changing the mounts to get as follows:

-smaller (say, 2GB) partition as /media/usb (= partition 1)

-bigger (say the rest, i.e. 30GB of 32GB USB stick) partition as /media/hdd (= partition 2)

6) Press OK to write it into the FSTAB file, then out of 3 options choose RESTART THE BOX. The box reboots.

(If it doesn't work the first time round, the second time it will be as you want it to be!)

7) Now, go to MENU > Plugins > Extensions > see above post and install this plugin, i.e. Flash Expander.

8) Exit and if necessary restart E2, then go back to Plugins > start Flash Expander and use it to move the /usr folder to the smaller 2GB partition (it will later on appear as /usr in various menus, as you'll see soon). Restart will follow, when it moves the /usr folder content to USB /media/usb partition.

9) I then use a SWAP Manager, which you will find in the same part of pManager, to create a SWAP file (512MB), activate it and I also make it "autostart" with E2.

This is the result, firstly showing the partitions using "df -h" command and then "before and after" SWAP creation, using "free" command:

10) Now, we can start downloading

-plugins/addons (like Franc's FNC plugins, then ffmpeg package for E2iPlayer etc. etc.)

-tools you may need (like Dream Explorer)

-skins you may want to have extra

-picons galore

-EPG

-etc. etc.

and

11) direct them all to /media/hdd (partition 2), just like we directed SWAP file to it...

Only the careful configuration of it all will ensure all will be well with our "oldie but goldie"!!! :thumbup:

• Delfi waves good-bye to PurE2 support for DB800HD SE and DB500HD... :crying1:

"PurE2 V. 6.2 for DB800SE/DB500HD

Updated to the last stand, all the PurE2 *-FNC plugins should be up to date. And the rest of the stuff.

Well, that is sort of good news, the bad ones are that we cannot test these old boxes any more, as ours went to a better place :) I'm sure it is paradise as they were/are really wonderful, still today.

Sadly, it seems we have to close this 64MB flash chapter, however long and rather painfully we have tried to make it work decently.

I hope you guys with DB800SE and DB500HD will understand Pure2 position --> we simply can't make decent stuff without working boxes. Sorry, kind of end of the era... :crying1:

On the bright side, I do hope that the latest image do serve and function rather well for some time in the future.

May the 400Mhz beauty and really good drivers still be with you!"

Article with many, many details is here: PurE2 new lease of life for old DM800 HD SE and DM500 HD

Discussion is here: PurE2 new lease of life for old DM800 HD SE and DM500 HD

Many more little plugins/addons and tools that help all this are here: For older, weaker boxes: tools, plugins, information...

General help for PurE2 is here: PurE2 Image Team

Specific tutorial: PurE2 new lease of life for old DM800HD SE and DM500HD

Good luck! :)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!