Looking for a power inserter that passes 22 kHz

There are 5 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 278 times. The last Post () by voomvoom.

• Are there any tried and true 18-24 VDC power inserters that pass 22 kHz?
    I'm 'fishing' a little bit because from posting in a couple of US forums. Not getting any definite answers.
    I need to send tone out of a 8X1 diseqc switch. Insert power for 2 Norsat lnb's. Those will be switched with a 2-port 22 kHz tone switch.
    Hopefully there is at least one out there. Any idea of a vendor, if so?

Thank you.

• In my setup I have:

2 @ Norsat 3220's going to Pico Macom SPI - 14/18 - 2150 inline power inverter, also

2 @ Norsat ku (forget #'s) going to Pico Macom SPI - 14/18 - 2150 inline power inverter,

both of the inverters are set for 18 volts,

they feed a JVI 35 - TRDTV48 4x8 Multi-Switch, with C lnb's on the 22 KHz off side and the ku lnb's on the 22 KHz on side

and going out of multi-switch to 8x1 diseqc switch, and then on to receiver.

My setup works, don't know if it will do the same with a 22 KHz switch?

GOOD LUCK..!!!

ALSO, my power inverters came from Rick's

• Very cool. I'm trying to visualize your setup. Perhaps will jot down your description and lookup the components.
    Here's my concept. I just cannot run another coax or power cable to the dish. I was pretty brief to keep things to a minimum.
    Norsat 22 kHz Wiring Diagram_a.jpg

• Let me correct myself, I have and use those JVI multi-switches, for other ku dishes. But ,not with my ortho feed. I just took a look and the ortho feed has all the above except the multi-switch is a ZINWELL wide-band 6x8 multi-switch (like DIRECTV uses). It is non powered, note the ones mentioned above are powered multi-switches. Other than the wrong multi-switch mentioned every thing else is correct. Hope I've not been or I'm not being too confusing?

Basically it's:

ortho > lnb's > inverters > ZINWELL > 8x1 diseqc > receiver....

Sorry for any misleads.

• Sorry for misunderstanding. Inverters or power inserters?
    Since I have your attention I need to explain what is keeping everything from working.
    The power inserter I am trying to use. And it is a DirectTV. Is a 20 VDC with integral bias tee.
    It seemed like the one to use. Except.

On the receiver port. At the blocking capacitor circled in red. I get 22 kHz, and of course diseqc packets. The tone switch was on the lnb port
    During testing I used a signal generator and oscilloscope. Later hooking up a receiver.
    Past the capacitor. No 22 kHz. Increased the cap value. Nothing past it.

Something occurred to me after the fact. I did not have the lnb's hooked up to provide a current draw on the switch.
    So I did on both ports. And still no tone went past the capacitor. When I lifted the inductor soldered to the +20V feed thru.
    Suddenly I got tone on the other side of the cap. And at the loose end of the inductor.
    So next I pulled two caps that were soldered (in blue) and the one circled in yellow.
    Thinking that they may be the culprit. Soldered the inductor back where it was.
    With the ps on. No tone again. With the tone switch out of circuit. Still nothing. Time to get out the books.

The inductor is 0.1 mH. BTW. I perform quite a few repairs here. PC's, laptops, phones, etc.
    A component is either good or it's bad. So swapping values is something rarely done. I just fix it, you know.
    Looked at a few online calculators for LC, RC, RLC filters. TI, Analog Devices, ST Micro datasheets.
    Everything tells me I need to increase the impedance presented through the inductor because it's 'stealing' the tone. And 0.1 mh is too small a value.

I spoke to a fellow at Satellitedish.com here in the USA. Very cool and informative. He actually called around to a few customers and was familiar with DC blocks. Not simply selling. He assured me that he has what I needed and so I had him ship a few. DC blocks with 22 kHz pass thru.
    In the mean time. I'm going to gut a few donor boards from 'the pile' and see if the calculators and close-to components will block the tone from getting back through to the 20V feed thru. Providing a so called brick wall to the tone but letting DC get through.
    May I say?......Grrrrrrrrrr !!!!

Bias Tee Resized.jpg

• Edited once, last by voomvoom ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!