setting up Openwebif so I can watch my sat from work

There are 6 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 8,356 times. The last Post () by bmitie.

• Hey guys, could someone point me in the right direction on setting up so I can watch my sat from work. I work in IT so hopefully I can sort it no problem.

Just wondering do I need to use my dydns address?

Cheers:)

If you are confused then you probably know what's going on!

• Yep, you will need to use your dyndns addy buddy when you connect from outside your home network, make sure you open the port on your router that matches which one you pick in openwebif.

fI7WHhv.png

Please click on the "Like" :thumbup: button if you find the information and support posted on the forum helpful.

• Yep, you will need to use your dyndns addy buddy when you connect from outside your home network, make sure you open the port on your router that matches which one you pick in openwebif.

Is there a tutorial on how to set this up mate. I have read about the forum and just getting bits and pieces of info from various posts so sort off flying blind. I can connect to the Openwebif main page using my address xxxx.dydns.org:port and just type in root with no password as I don't know how to set a password as the setting on the Openwebif plugin does not give me that option.
    Then if I try to view any channel I get this error:

"Windows Media Player cannot find the file. If you are trying to play, burn, or sync an item that is in your library, the item might point to a file that has been moved, renamed, or deleted"

If I try the other way "stream port 8002" it doesn't work either and get the same error above. I know it's probably something simple but cant think what. I have settings at:

Posts open: 21, 8002, xxx0, xxx1

On Openwebif add on:

OpenWenterface Enabled - yes
    Http port 00xx0
    Enable Http Authentication - yes
    Streaming port - 08002
    Enable Https - yes
    Http port 00xx1
    Smart service renaming for XBMC - no

If I connect by just using 192.168.1.2 locally which my VU+ Box is set I can view channels no problem but not through the streaming port 8802

It's frying my head a bit but a bit lost as I don't know a big lot about the VU+ Box as regards to settings and don't have any tutorial to work from.

• Hi,

When you start streaming it creates a .m3u file send to your client, this .m3u file contains the internal IP address of your STB, this won't work from the outside world.
    So instead of opening this .m3u file with the player, save it and edit it and replace the internal address by your dyndns one.

But opening the webif to the internet is a really bad idea!

You should rather setup a VPN between your work PC and your home STB to protect you against hackers.

Pr2

• I couldn't find a tutorial so just used some common sense and got it working. Port 8002 would not open regardless of what I done so I have a feeling my ISP has it blocked along with Port 80 as this has stopped working all of a sudden but in the end I just used completely different ports and all working great, I even had it going on my mobile phone. I was even surprised at times the HD was streaming pretty well although I have fibre optic and my work and girlfriends have fibre so would probably account for the steady stream.

Anyways, all's working guys....thanks for all your help:)

• Hi, Glad to hear it's working and am in the same boat as yourself. Any chance you can write a short tutorial on how to do so? It'll be much appreciated. Thanks.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!