Enigma 2 is installed on Windows and Linux virtual

• Running Enigma2 under Qemu

Installing Qemu (Windows)

Download and install Qemu and to improve performance, KQemu.

Download the Gentoo based image.

In order to start the virtual machine, create a batch file in the same folder as gentoo-i686.qcow2 with the following content:

echo off
    set QEMU=c:\program/qemu
    set QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=sdl
    set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=windib
    set SDL_AUDIODRIVER=dsound
    %QEMU%/qemu.exe -L %QEMU%/pc-bios -std-vga -localtime -m 512 -usbdevice tablet -soundhw es1370 -usb -hda gentoo-i686.qcow2 -redir tcp:2222::22
    Adjust the value of QEMU so that it points at your qemu installation and doubleclick on the batch file.

Installing Qemu (Linux)

I recomend google for this one. If you happend to run Gentoo, there is a very nice guide on how to install KVM (a modified version of qemu that uses a kernel module called kvm to get acceleration close to a native installation)

Download the Gentoo based image.

In order to start the virtual machine, create a bash script in the same folder as gentoo-i686.qcow2 with the following content:

#!/bin/bash
    export QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=sdl
    export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa
    kvm -std-vga \
    -localtime \
    -m 512 \
    -usbdevice tablet \
    -soundhw es1370 \
    -usb \
    -name Gentoo \
    -hda gentoo-i686.qcow2 \
    -redir tcp:2222::22
    Running enigma2

Once the virtual macine is booted, you can either log in (as root, password: gentoo) to its openssh server that has been mapped to port 2222 (recomended) or directly in the qemu window. By choosing the later method, you will not be able to view the logs since enigma will run ontop of the console, and the keymap might not be correct (us).

Execute /usr/local/bin/enigma2.sh and watch the spinner apear in qemu.

Navigation is done using the arrow keys and you can press the Enter key in order to bring up the infobar. Since enigma was designed to be used with a remote, alot of the actions are not mapped to a keyboard (Menu button for example).

Issues I've resolved

A lot of the code is depening in special hardware (DVB device, audio output) and it refers to static device nodes that are either outdated or only used by the dreambox (/dev/fb/0 /media/discs /media/hdd etc). Python will throw a few exceptions and some will abort the execution.

When compling with sdl, enigma crashes since skins.py tries to open gFBDC.

Since the path to xml.etree.cElement is not the same in python-2.4 (requires external library) as in 2.5, python will throw an exception and abort.

Patches needed to compile the C++ code can be found in /usr/local/portage/media-tv/enigma2/files (emerge -av enigma2 will reinstall everything and overwrite the python scripts that I've changed in order to get it running.

Screenshots

34145fbdef5cdfa818.jpg

8c29f99f495ea.jpg

df3a1a5257107fa5281a001.jpg

by linuxsat-support - N@SER

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!