advice needed please

There are 31 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 5,217 times. The last Post () by scoobydont.

• I started down the road you did about 12 months ago and have now got my satellite motorised and a tried a few different boxes before settling on building my own HTPC (although haven't quite got the server bit figured out), so it can be done, but does take allot of reading and fiddling about.

The general advice I would give is look at it as a hobby with a 'goal' of having a nicely set up AV system, rather than wanting to have a direct replacement for your current sub. I think that those that set out to 'have more channels' or 'watch more games' tend to be happier than those want to keep or gain specific channels or follow a particular team or sport.

Regarding a box, I would say that you already probably have one of the best boxes for a newbie, otherwise maybe try a non-linux Technomate box. Otherwise try a Dreambox or a VU; at least you will be able to easily sell them if you don't get on with them.

The general feedback that I got when I was starting out was go for good quality (is doesn't necessarily mean the highest price) and had numerous recommendations for T&K brackets, Webber cable, Inverto LNB and Technomate motor.

Good luck!

bb69

• thanks all for your help just one more thing,i still have an old sly dish on the wall could i connect that to the dm,my mate whos going to help me put the bigger dish up is away for a few weeks so thought i might play around with this until hes back cheers

• That box has a satellite tuner have a look at the sponsors website if you want to use cable

i think the cables running from sly dish into my front room are still behind the tv,when the ******al bloke came round to do the installation he left the cables as they were

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!