Sky HD box running Openelec

There are 14 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 8,978 times. The last Post () by magicsat15.

• I just thought I would share one of my projects with you, and maybe inspire someone else to do the same ;)

So I decided to migrate my htpc parts from my old case into a SKY HD multiroom box. The reason I chose a multiroom box is simply because of the size of it (its tiny) and I couldn't find anything else that took my fancy. I now have a fully functional "Intel Powered " SKY HD box with working SKY remote, Twin satellite tuner, running Openelec/TVH. The system fully boots into XBMC in 7 seconds flat, switching channels is quicker than my Solo2 (less than 1 second on most channels)

First I ripped the motherboard and metal chassis out from the SKY box

I then placed my htpc components in place to see if everything fitted before getting the glue out ;)

Once I knew everything would fit nicely, I got to work and glued the motherboard to the case. I cut up an old dvd case and used it for risers on each corner of the motherboard to help with airflow. I couldn't use standard pc risers because I literally had mm to play with.

Next I fitted a new low profile cpu cooler which fits nicely in the case. I've added a pico power supply which has a max draw of about 120w, which will be paired with a external laptop style brick which has a max draw of 72w, so this machine will be much more efficient than my other 300w power supply thats in my old case.

Rather than using the existing motherboard I/O shield for the back plate, I made up a aluminum plate to cover the whole of the back, rather than doing it in two pieces. It's not the neatest of work, but it's not seen so it's fine.

Had abit of a nightmare when the external brick arrived. I turned the box on and it started heating up quite abit because the cpu fan was so close to the top of the case. The cpu must of got to 65c whilst playing a high bitrate blu ray. I had no other option but to cut into the top of the case to cool the cpu down (which I didn't want to do!). What I ended up doing was using my old case' airflow holes as a template for the top of the Sky box, I simply taped the top of the SKY box, clamped the old case on top then drilled away. The holes surprisingly turned out pretty good, alot better than what I thought anyway. Temps are now at around 40c, which is perfectly fine.

The case isn't properly pushed down there ;)

I'm currently modding a skin for the box, here is where I'm at so far.....

For anyone who's interested, the parts used are as:

Sky HD multiroom box
    Sky HD remote with Flirc IR receiver
    MSI H81I 1150 Motherboard
    Intel G3258 3.2ghz Dual Core
    4GB Corsair Low Profile Ram
    Alaska Low Profile CPU cooler
    Kingston 60GB SSD (boot Drive)
    500GB 2.5inch Hard drive
    TBS Twin Satellite Tuner
    120w Pico Power supply
    72w External Brick (laptop charger)

• Thanks for the feedback lads ;)

Here's a better look at the interface, the image is compressed but you get the idea.....

• My parts were originally in a Silverstone case, but I thought it was abit on the large side for a satellite receiver, hence why this project took place ;)

• My parts were originally in a Silverstone case, but I thought it was abit on the large side for a satellite receiver, hence why this project took place ;)

Pretty much replaced the Silverstone with a wetek and stream to it.

Think I could gut a sly box and put the wetek inside ;)

• It's my own modded skin, based on Nox 5

- - - Updated - - -

I've done some minor changes to the info bar. I changed the textures to give it that little bit of pop, rather than being "flat". I've also changed the font and color of the time, start/end time etc.

Old

New

I will post a download link soon guys ;)

Edited 4 times, last by fezz0 ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!