Slingbox M1 debuts in Europe

There are 5 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,805 times. The last Post () by joilet666.

• Official Post

b7494.jpg

Sling Media has launched Slingbox M1, which features WiFi connectivity, in the UK and Europe.

First introduced in the US last year, it is being offered with a UK manufacturer’s suggested retail price of £129.

Slingbox M1 has a number of features including dual-band 2.4/5GHz Wi-Fi connectivity and Ethernet port; quick and easy set-up and playback via PC/Mac desktop apps as well as iPhone, iPad and Android phone apps; watch and control live TV on a tablet, smartphone, PC or Mac; play and schedule PVR recordings; watch on a second TV anywhere via Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Google Chromecast or Roku; component and composite input/output; and international power supply, which supports 230/110V and has changeable pins to support both UK and European plugs.

It also does not require the payment of monthly fees.

Commenting on the launch, Michael Hawkey, senior VP and general manager of Sling Media, said: “Given its strong reception in the US, we are excited to introduce the Slingbox M1 into the European market.
    “The Slingbox M1 sets a new standard for ease of set-up and use, while delivering incredible value for the pay-TV satellite subscribers that we have always targeted with our products and services. With a Slingbox M1 that has been completely localised for customers, we’re delivering the most affordable Slingbox packed with the most robust set of features that we believe will significantly expand the mobile TV and video market.”

Source : http://www.broadbandtvnews.com…gbox-m1-debuts-in-europe/

• It's horrid. The output is only viewable through a web based app that serves up ads (a no-closeable video before viewing and banner ads while viewing). It's not compatible with my Vu+ as you can't edit the remote control files. Can't even use it with my Sky box as the output video quality is poor freezes (on a good network, and everything set up properly). I will go back to my old Slingbox and sell this regrettable purchase.

• Official Post

It's horrid. The output is only viewable through a web based app that serves up ads (a no-closeable video before viewing and banner ads while viewing). It's not compatible with my Vu+ as you can't edit the remote control files. Can't even use it with my Sky box as the output video quality is poor freezes (on a good network, and everything set up properly). I will go back to my old Slingbox and sell this regrettable purchase.

Thanks for the information and the opinion, seems a real shame because it looked a great product

• I've owned these wonderful Slingbox's for many years since the "Classic" model.

However these new ones are severely locked down. Sling Media are a rubbish company in general, due to their lack of support for older models. For example I purchased the mobile app for my early Android phone to watch my Classic and first generation Professional box. Now these models and several others, except for the more recent Solo and Pro-HD are no longer supported. Sling have intentionally removed the support from *most* of their mobile apps. They are keen to disable newer web based apps from working with older models as a means to force people to upgrade.

Whilst that's not bad enough. The previous generation of Slings used to contain an admin password and a view-only password. People would share their Slingbox's with others from all around the world. All you needed was either the IP address or the finder ID along with one of the passwords. Anyone with a Sling Media account could add the box to their list. It was great and allowed expats to watch their local TV again and in exchange they would share their sling from their region of the world.

Furthermore all of their hardware requires new capacitors after about a year of being powered on. I would highly recommend replacing these with high grade audio capacitors. Then after that the power supply tends to become unstable, usually in the larger more power demanding models. Such as the Professional models. You must either be lucky to stumble upon a switched power supply with 4 amps or buy a genuine replacement. Although I absolutely refuse to pay Sling Media. Therefore I bought an external unit (one that wasn't integral to the plug) from Hong Kong made for these Slingbox's and works very well I must add.

Now Sling have changed these newer generation of boxes starting with the M1. These are setup are registered against a single Sling Media account only. Also they come free with the mobile apps for remote viewing. Which is really great for someone who has paid around £20 in the past - twice (phone and tablet), However these free versions will not allow you to connect to any of the currently supported older models. Where as mine does. I expect by the end of the year, support will be dropped for the Solo and Pro-HD

So whilst these newer M series come with built in dual band WiFi. They also come with a new web browser plugin and new windows software. Both of which are absolutely littered in static advertising. Even more disturbing is before MY video begins to stream I am forced to watch one or several video advertisements. What the hell is going on. I just couldn't believe what I was seeing. These were very expensive premium devices that allow you to view your local TV whilst outside of your home. I guess since their prices have come down to meet the budget of most have a go folk. Furthermore as the mobile and tablet apps are now free, they feel it appropriate to disturb my personal viewing and infiltrate my purchased equipment with advertising! I was so furious and will not look to Sling Media again in future. IPTV is common place now, even running TVHeadend in the home. Failing that, there are a small number of competitors who manufacture similar and superior devices at half the price.

A problem that has existed in all the HD models, whether capable of receiving it and transceiving it only or being able of transmitting it. Other than the latest HDMI model, which respects encrypted content CEC. You must still use the Component video inputs. Luckily I own two HDMI to Component video adapters. With a decent quality lead you'll be hard pushed to see any difference once its streaming.

I have owned and still own the following slings

• 3x Sling Classic - Silver trapezoid with red base - Composite, S-Video, RF that supported PAL analogue and digital OTA transmissions.
    • 1x Sling Professional - Ice Red trapezoid - Propriety HD Component I/O adapter for downscaling to SD, S-Video, Composite and incompatible ATSC RF input.
    • 2x Sling Solo - Black metal trapezoid - Originally intended for single source only, later firmware unlocked I/O selection. Component, S-Video, Composite and still supported.
    • 2x Sling Pro-HD - Silver / Black trapezoid - Component, Composite, S-Video and Digital Coax Audio I/O. HD Ready streaming up to 1080i and still supported.
    • 1x Sling M2 - Black trapezoid - WiFi dual band, Component, Composite. Full HD 1080p streaming. No digital audio.

The LATEST model the M2 - No it is yet to be released in the UK. Doesn't seem to be any different to the M1 at first glace. I bought it in late November 2015 from BestBuy in the US during a sale for $100. I have a dedicated DirecTV receiver setup with this M2 at my wife's parents place. We contribute towards the subscription and pay for the additional box. Even on WiFi it is capable of streaming up to 4Mb/s with a more than adequate HD picture and sound. I remember the older Pro-HD model needed around 8Mb/s. Plus it had better audio as it was possible to specify the bitrate. Newer codecs allow the M2 with its superior processor to not require as much bandwidth.

I choose to use a basic Roku stick (cheapest model 1) for streaming to my big screen TV from the M2. Excellent picture, no advertisements, absolutely stable. Plus using a phone or tablet to view the integrated EPG and being able to zap right to the channel. It's almost like having a real DirecTV receiver at home. I can't wait to watch the Superbowl on it later on today as the father in law pays for the exclusive NFL Sunday Ticket package. This is going to knock the socks off any other broadcaster, including Sky!

I should also add there are many more devices such as the Chromecast which you play Slingbox content. For backwards support Kodi has a couple plugins and the WDTV box has a basic but working app which allows you to stream to a TV from all the older models prior and including the Pro-HD. The web based windows application is complete garbage for watching on your Laptop. It's a little better through Firefox with ABP blocking the static ads but it can't block the video advertisements. However the older models have a legacy Windows app available which functions very well. Look for it on the official Sling Media web site. It's somewhat hidden away!

My advice - Buy an older Pro-HD as I've seen many places still shifting these for approximately £70 such Maplin including 1 year store guarantee. I actually paid £300 for this beast a few years ago and even more for the two HDMI Component adapters. This box has the most features out of any model and should still be supported for a year at least. Plus you do not need the Mobile or Tablet apps (chargeable) for receiving the stream through any of the Smart TV devices such as Roku, Chromecast, WDTV, Kodi Plugins etc. This equipment is also great for streaming one HD box around the house. I have one of these on my primary receiver in the lounge. I have a Roku dongle plugged in to the TV set in both the kitchen and bedroom. However only one can stream at the same time. The primary source can still be watched but it will be a few seconds ahead. Also the Roku device is by far the most superior in terms of video quality. The Chromecast often experiences streaming difficulties and fluctuates the bitrate too much. This model is probably the only one to support older methods of watching and the newer middle man player / streaming devices.

Keep an eye out and you'll get a Roku and a Pro-HD for less than £100. Well worth it for this quality kit. The M1/M2 are okay for the money. The advertising only seems to apply to using the newer Windows application and Web page plugins. Mobile and Tablets were not effected (yet). That said only these latter models will let you use these devices as remotes, minimizing any delays and improving the experience.

Lastly it is not possible to perform an kind of advanced setup with these devices, such as providing a remote control BIN file at the time of device setup. Port changing is possible. However it will work to a limited fashion without any ports opening up on your firewall. However the newer models just make it over complicated when it simply doesn't have to.

I'm determined to enable sharing of the M2 among independent Sling accounts - once I have the time to investigate it.

• Took me a while to write up as I'm half falling asleep - must get to bed - where does the time go!

Seriously though I've had Slingbox's for over a decade. I am quite familiar with each model and various ones unavailable in the UK. However I don't know the difference between the M1 and M2. I never checked. It was only when I came back to the UK I realised it hasn't been released. Most likely serious hardware issues required it. We lose yet again.

If you want to try it out bud, get in touch on PM.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the Thanks! and Thanks for the Like!

I don't mind extending this offer to other forum admins or highly respected members.

Previous models were easy to share, but not since the 350 and later models were released. However one could potentially steal my Sling Media account. Then end up messing with the Slingbox making it unusable until I next make another visit. I would be placing a lot of trust in you!

If anyone is interested in experiencing my DirecTV Sling setup, get in touch and i'll let you have a demo.

Recommend using either phone or tablet (free apps) to get connected and then streaming it to the big screen via Roku or Chromecast etc. You will get the full EPG to view on your phone and tablet. The tablet can also display a virtual skinned remote. This won't fit on a phone so it just has the buttons in generic form.

Just use your device to browse whats on the channels and to operate the remote. The renderer device will output the video to your big screen. Unless of course you're happy watching it on a phone or tablet.

Tonight (7th Feb 2016) I will be watching the SuperBowl so it's off limits during that time.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!